2017: Whither Democrats?

Perfect storm builds against Republicans in California - The Hill

This hurts

Jesus fuck

Looks like it was 7-2?

Yep. Sotomayor and Ginsburg the only points of light this time around.

Useless, futile points of light.

Sam Levine’s take is incorrect.

All this means is that they don’t need to do it before January 24. There’s nothing to suggest that they won’t redistrict before November.

However, with every delay, the arguments in favour of waiting till after the election gain traction. Filing deadlines are coming up fairly soon for some races, IIRC

That’s correct. With this ruling, there’s good reason to believe that they will, at least, wait until the Wisconsin case is decided. IMO that probably means no new maps for the 2018 elections, which is a fucking travesty considering all of the times the NC Legislature have been smacked down for this.

Don’t worry, when the GOP reps are re-elected, they’ll be sure to draw fair and balanced maps for next time!

Except for the fact that it in their best interests to not do it?

What I meant is that the stay of this order does not mean that they won’t be forced to before November.

It’s just so utterly disgusting that this shit is allowed to continue in this country. If all the GOP congresspeople and senators keeled over tomorrow, I’d only feel bad for the unfortunate folks that have to clean up their corpses.

Are you kidding? The local non-emergency ambulance services here in RDU are floundering and hemorrhaging cash. Having that many corpse pickups in short order could save the industry!

There is one silver lining in all this: these gerrymandered districts are based on “efficient allocation” of voters, to have just enough GOP voters in the target districts to win, without “over-voting” (which is inefficient like over-healing in WoW). This often means 55-40-5 type districts (GOP-DEM-Other). My understanding of the statistics is that a 55-40-5 district in going to go GOP every time in a “typical” election. However, the silver lining is: in a wave election, 55-40 can easily become 47-48. So even with these F’ed districts, if the Dems really get a wave on, F’ the GOP if they can’t take a joke.

Senator Tammy Duckworth is pregnant, and will be the first senator to ever give birth while actively serving a term.

Congrats to her!

moar wonky politics explained with WoW analogies, pls!

“I’m the ONLY one that can tank that boss. Vote for me for guild leader!”

Later…“Leeeerrooooy Jenkins!!”

Just listened to the latest This American Life earlier today, and the entire second half is about how the Democrats seem utterly unable to articulate what they stand for. They go through two factions within the party who are advocating opposite approaches: go big on the populist issues no matter how divisive they may be, or focus on key economic issues and try not to rock the boat too much.

The first half is good too, about inefficiency and mismanagement in immigration courts by the current administration. Cross-posted that over in the Immigration Thread.

I have a pretty good idea what Democrats stand for, I think. Expanded health care, bigger social safety net, support for minority, gay, and transgender communities, women’s rights, legalized abortion, and, oh yeah, acknowledging that climate change is a fucking problem.

In my opinion the fact that the incoherent word-salad, dog-whistling, and pseudo-patriotic bluster of the Trump campaign somehow amounts to ‘better messaging’ is Exhibit A in a presentation of ‘why the American electorate is completely unqualified to do its job.’