2017: Whither Democrats?

kedaha is doing it too!

To me, all of this happened yesterday.

Nate Cohn is either in Brazil or on Prince Edward Island or something.

I suspect the embedded twitter time may be based on QT3’s server’s time in some way.

6951 absentee ballots in the district.

True - and of course, utter nonsense. No matter whether Saccone scrapes out a win by a couple of votes or loses, either way having this district get so close for them is objectively bad news for the GOP.

But of course objective reality is dead; all that matters now is who yells loudest. If the GOP wins by two votes, they’ll push it as “Trump’s [not Saccone’s] amazing comeback” and “Dem resurgence ends.” And a big chunk of the media will go along with it, because horse races generate clicks.

(And if instead the GOP loses by a couple of votes, the GOP will shout “Everybody knew Saccone was a loser the whole time!” Then a bunch of the usual suspects in the media will “actually” away the Dem victory with “actually, this shows the Democrats’ weakness, because they should have gotten more votes among left-handed Albanian tool and die workers than they did.”)

If they are still counting these then Lamb has finished. Oh well, it was an amazing swing but it isn’t like anyone will care as they won’t read/listen past the headline.

Ya, in PA you can’t really use absentee ballots unless you are in the hospital, or deployed as the military… and that’s about it. They are not easy for most folks to use.

lol, now they’re showing the Libertarian vote just so folks can bitch about him.

Don’t absentee ballots usually get counted first?

What does that mean?

“Still counting” could mean they are 90% complete, which would mean the remainder are unlikely to affect the outcome.

I believe that a lot of the time, they don’t count them at all except for the total number, and only bother tallying them if the total number is greater than the difference in normal vote.

Given the lead is at 600 and still 7% coming out of Washington, you might be right that they won’t affect the outcome, but only because the GOP will win either way.

I think we are in the Bizzaro universe.

lol

In fairness, only losing slightly is pretty good news for Republicans at the White House. Certainly better than “Tillerson learned of his dismissal via Twitter” or “New head of CIA waterboarded the shit out of people”?

I always wonder how reporters report this stuff and manage to stay straight-faced.

I gotta say I’m a bit dumbfounded that people are still voting libertarian in these kinds of elections.

The current margin in Washington is +2800 for Saccone. Increasing that by 7% will not bring him 600 votes.

Isn’t this the election to vote Libertarian? It makes no difference whatsoever as the seat is going bye-bye, and I imagine there are a fair few people out there who are dissatisfied with the GOP but would sooner die than vote D.

Wasserman says it, and he’s the expert.