2017: Whither Democrats?

And they really have to do it this November to beat the 2020 census. . .

Here’s a good illustration of how gerrymandering works.

We’re all assuming that there will actually BE a 2020 census. If it’s going to screw over the Republicans, you can bet that they’ll try to prevent it from happening.

Luckily the new budget didn’t eviscerate the census office like many R’s were calling/hoping for. It’s not a definitive sign of light, but it’s definitely an example of things not being as bad as they could be.

The Census is mandated by the Constitution, IIRC.

I mean so is obeying the Emoluments Clause

Which I am sure Trump reads.

My inclination to give the current government anymore data than they already have is zero.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/978405317095673856

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/978479816528859136

What is McDonald talking about? The Pennsylvania Supreme Court did not draw a fair map. The new map still leans Republican even though the state is almost perfectly divided. It’s less unfair than it was before, but that’s kinda Wasserman’s point.

Ah I did not know that. Thanks for the correction.

The definition of “fair” the court is using is “party-blind”, rather than “equitable”.

FPTP and gerrymandering are separate but related issues, and conflating them helps noone except the GOP (as it delays action on gerrymandering).

Regardless of what you want to call it, Wasserman is arguing that Republicans hold geographic advantages that no map is going to address fully. McDonald retorts that this problem can indeed be fully addressed with the right mail, and as an example points to a map that doesn’t address the problem fully.

The maps will always lean conservative so long as rural areas vote conservative. Our system gives cities proportionally less electoral representation, by design.

Random observation;
Liberals get called “libs” often as a pejorative. Why don’t conservatives get called “cons” in a similar manner? Seems more effective.

I mean it was right there in the name neo-con. None of them seemed to notice the irony, though. :(

The left doesn’t have the equivalent of a decades long crusade via talk radio and Fox to turn conservative into a pejorative.

Liberals get called a million things as pejoratives because conservatives rarely have a point aside from the insults.

I think we should just use an amalgamation and start calling conservatives Cuckflakes.

Newsletter, subscribe, etc.