2017: Whither Democrats?

From what I have heard he is considered too far left for even most California democrats. And against Feinstein he really doesn’t have a chance. But when he loses don’t expect him to disappear from California politics.

I haven’t taken a long look at the sample ballot yet but I did see the one guy running for governor whose bio merely said “Why not?”

Hahah. One guy on the voter information pamphet, not sure which, spent his whole page ranting about how recognition of trans identity constitutes child abuse and needs to be stopped.

I wonder what it costs to sign up to run for statewide office?

And does it help you to get a job if you stick ‘Gubernatorial candidate’ on your resume?

He is, but in this case the populism he’s jumping onboard with just happens to be aligned with what I want in a Governor for Ohio, including healthcare reform, common sense gun control legislation, criminal justice reform (ending systemic racism) and environmental issues. If November swings blue, both in Ohio and around the country, Kucinich will be held to his campaign platform.

I forgot elections were today. :(

[edit]

Oh, it’s just the primary. I guess that’s okay. Anyway, polls close in 8 minutes. :(

The problem is, I feel like Feinstein has had her day and it’s time for new blood. I haven’t researched De Leon enough to know if he’s the answer, but I’m kind of tired of Feinstein. I feel like she is a pretty solid Democrat from an era before the GOP went off the deep end and she keeps clinging to old attitudes and norms the GOP has already shat upon. I’m going to have to read up a bit on De Leon.

As for the primary for governor, I lived in LA when Villaraigosa was Mayor and I simply have no recollection or impession of him, which is… not that good. He seems either generic or a non-entity to me. Newsom, I mean I’m a liberal and all but you know I don’t really like Newsom. I think I am going to vote for Chiang.

I like Newsom, he used to go on Bill Maher’s show a lot pushing for marijuana legalization other progressive issues. I don’t know anything about this Villaraigosa guy, but sounds like he’d be OK if he won, too. I’m voting for Newsom in the primary but I won’t lose sleep if Villaraigosa wins in November.

Newsom is on the cursus honorum for Dem nomination in 24 or 28. I like what I have seen of him so far.

Villaraigosa was a bit of a liberal hero when he lost to Jim Hahn for mayor. Then he won and like Sharpe I don’t really have much impression of him. That may be on me, though, for paying more attention to national politics than local.

Cordray up 36% on Kucinich in OH with 100k votes counted.

NBC just called it for Cordray. He cleaned Dennis the Menace’s clock.

Things are looking bad for Blankenship.

Cocaine Mitch is going to win one for the China people!

Fun fact, I have dined several times at an exclusive club Feinstein is a member of Villa Taverna, as a guest of another member (there are only 460). Hoo boy is THAT a different world. No, I never met her or went and said “hi” :)

Well, that’s it then, in November I’m voting for Mike DeWi… HA! I can’t even finish typing that. =)

I don’t think they do. At all.

Right now, California Democrats are in a nightmare scenario. Two incredibly winnable House seats out there have Republicans polling in the 30% range (including Dana Rohrbacher’s seat)…but unfortunately it looks increasingly likely that that the number of Democrats on the ticket will split up the vote, and the two candidates who’ll advance to a run-off will be Republicans.

I doubt it effects the congressional races, but the state offices will end up in most cases with two democrats running against each other. Kamala Harris even ran against a democrat in November last year.

Holy shit, they did that system without ranked voting of some kind to guarantee against this sort of outcome?

That’s nice that you doubt, but it is definitely affecting the congressional races already. Here are the puppets and flipcharts:

Yeah, the party is going to have to “come together” and get various candidates to drop out and flip their support to an anointed one. Of course, that’s always worked out well.