2017: Whither Democrats?

People think with their wallets. The economy (clue someone saying it isn’t) is actually doing well right now. It is not the doing of Trump, but the guy in office always gets the bump from it.

Interesting to note that there aren’t many left-leaning media out there screaming that all the good economic news is 100% fake and that the world outside your door is actually a post-apocalyptic hellscape. Which is the opposite of what right wing media did for the last 8 years, with some help from the mainstream press as well.

Cause one side uses facts and the other side makes stuff up?

No no no… you’re supposed to start a small business! Create some jobs!

FYGM!

Abrams would be the first woman of color to serve as a Governor, and the first African American governor of a deep south state if she wins in November.

Also, I’m one of those weirdo progressives who’d be happy with either Lizzie Fletcher or Laura Moser ending John Culberson’s congressional career.

In this case, it looks like it’ll be Fletcher getting that opportunity. And by all accounts, she’s the candidate who poses the biggest threat in the Texas 7th.

The margin of Abrams win is striking.

But also…

Gop winning on generic ballot now?

America really is the next Hungary.

That whole civil war thing in the Texas 7th seems to have been a media creation.

Laura Moser isn’t having it, for one thing.

Yep.

Clapper just came out with a book -

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/388803-clapper-ryan-and-mcconnell-didnt-care-about-election-interference-as
Clapper - a conservative - makes a stronger case against Republicans than democratic leadership.
But the pundit class started yapping about how Democrats-don’t-stand-for-anything and Democrats-can’t-talk-about-Russia and Democrats-can’t-run-against-trump (yeah, like Republicans didn’t run against Obama in 2010 and 2014 and still run against Pelosi) and of course the average voter dutifully repeats the pablum (and we’ve seen numerous posts here repeating the same thing) and whoever runs Dem strategy also agrees.

And now the “Russia investigation” is viewed as partisan. Somehow, Democrats have lost that battle.

Depressing twitter thread, saying the same thing but longer:
https://twitter.com/maxbergmann/status/999105397737877510

It’s over.

What does “it’s over” mean? Are you conceding the election this year to the GOP?

I think he means quite the opposite: if the GOP excitement level is about where it was four years ago and the Democrat level is 50% higher than four years ago, then there is no way the GOP can win this thing.

It could be. Or Trigger could be saying only a 50% increase from 4 years ago isn’t enough in a red state like Georgia.

Yep, by typing “It’s over” atop some good news for Democrats, I was conceding things.

Y’all don’t do a whole lot with contextual comprehension round here, huh?

At any rate, I dunno whether the Democrats will take back the House, the Senate, both, or neither in the fall.

Just thought it was weird when the most electable Democrats in the primaries all won – and won big – that there was so much “Woe is us” bullshit that seemed to spread through two different threads, like angry drunks at closing time.

How am I supposed to know if a 50% turnout increase is good or not good enough? What does that mean for the actual election? Is that enough to overcome the deficit of republican voters?