2017: Whither Democrats?

What’s his point exactly? That people who went to Ivy League schools or grew up in nice homes shouldn’t be elected to Congress? Or that people who lie shouldn’t be elected? Because, you know, I might be on board with both those things, but I don’t think it’s going to work out the way he wants.

It’s GOP identity psychology 101. The basic Republican axioms are:

1. Nobody gives a damn about anything but their own interests and their own narrow tribe - family and neighborhood. Anyone who says otherwise is a fraud and liar.
  2. The only that’s worth having in life other than your narrow tribe is money. Lots and lots of money. Anyone who says otherwise is a fraud and a liar.
  3. Therefore, anyone who ever claims to care about anything other their own narrow tribe is obviously a liar and a fraud. Anyone who even looks like they’ve walked away from a place with lots and lots of money must be a liar and a fraud.

So anyone who grew up in Westchester but then moves to somewhere like the Bronx must be a liar and fraud (because everyone knows the Bronx is a hellhole and Westchester is paradise.)

This line of attack really boggles the mind when you look at GOP leadership and its make up.

He’s basically (I think) trying to balloon-bust that excellent 2-minute ad she has that shows her as a champion of the blue-collar folks in the Bronx and Queens. The ad shows her currently living in a typical small apartment, and they’re swiping at that… and the well-told (and truthful) stories about her having to tend bar and wait tables to help make ends meet. Basically, “She’s not Alex from the block.”

Except…she is.

Republicans made people question if John Kerry was a war hero. They made people question if John McCain was a war hero! There is no depth to which they will not sink in order to take and keep power.

They play dirty. Decent people reject that sort of thing. We just need way more decent people.

The Republican propaganda machine is very very good at gaslighting.

She would be eligible in 2024.

Yea, but will horndogs still be gushing over her looks by then? Who knows, maybe she’ll pull a Palin and it will be so.

Do we have any idea when her LFD will be?! The future of the American republic is at stake here, by Science!

This has taken quite a turn. :)

Well, even if AOC doesn’t keep all the support she’s garnering at the moment, she’ll still have made an impact:

Justice Democrats making noise. Now to see if they can get votes in November.

Please let her be the real deal. Please let her be this goddamned good.

Meanwhile, in OH-1:

Pureval raised $885,000 in the second quarter, and now has more than $1 million in the bank, his campaign manager Sarah Topy told Politics Extra on Tuesday.

That topped Pureval’s first-quarter total of $660,000, a figure his campaign said at the time was an eight-week record for anyone running against long-time incumbent Steve Chabot.

Chabot’s fundraising numbers next week, though the race might end up being influenced more by huge bundles of outside money.

Where did this term originate from? Gotta be the best slogan the Dems have come up with in some time.

AFAIK it was kicked off by the Young Turks (Cenk Uygur) and their push to get more progressive Democratic positions and candidates to run. It is now its own PAC and run by a board composed of just Saikat Chakrabarti, Nasim Thompson, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

https://www.justicedemocrats.com/platform
their platform:

• End Corruption
  • Abolish the death penalty
  • Enact common-sense gun regulation
  • Combat homelessness
  • Enact police reform
  • Implement comprehensive immigration reform
  • Protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid
  • Ensure paid vacation time, sick time, family leave, childcare
  • Defend and protect women’s rights
  • No Longer Sell Arms To Human-Rights Violators
  • End constitutional overreaches

Site says Alexandra Rojas.

Dammit, her sense of humor is not helping me with my crush.

https://i.redd.it/o8uybeg087811.jpg

Well, no one is perfect.

AOC has good points about some of the problems with ICE, but in this case it looks like she exaggerated enough for Politifact to call her on it.

I know I’m always the debby downer, but I feel like folks should resist the urge to immediately cling to a new candidate who everyone knows very little about.

Or rather, perhaps, just take it a little slower. There’s a lot of folks who seem swept up by her personality.

Make no mistake, having some person who isn’t a million years old and energizes folks is a great thing, that’s definitely needed by the Democratic party. Just be wary that the need doesn’t get you to make hasty decisions.

I’m not saying there’s anything I find offensive about this woman though. She’s way more left than me, but that’s to be expected.