2017: Whither Democrats?

F that! Speaker of the House Ocasio-Cortez ftw!

PS - that would put her second in line of succession for the Presidency. Impeach Trump and Pence and it’s President Ocasio-Cortez.

I’m not big into taking it slow.

I like this gal and have said a lot of the same things she’s said and I completely agree with your point that people need to slow up.

But I also don’t blame her for riding this wave while she can. Obama basically rode the same thing straight to the presidency from his 2006 appearance. Whatever works, right?

So… Racism and FSB Collusion 2018? :)

You know that’s not what I meant… :(

I’m watching you, Kevin.

Ha ha, nice. Pity she’s not 35 yet.

Some of the younger folks still believe in love at first sight. Us older types know it for the hormonal craziness that it is.

Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line

So a month after the primary on June 6 and California is FINALLY done counting all ballots and provisionals.

Enthusiasm on both sides is high. If you lean left, that’s not a bad thing.

Hehe, I’m not sure you could classify California as “lean left.” :) So yeah, enthusiasm on both sides is great for the Left there.

Ha! Yes indeed.

But–it’s a data point to keep in mind as we get closer to November. High turnout on both sides in a lot of places in this country ends up as a net positive for Democrats.

Right-o. I’m pumped. Given what you’re seeing, what chance would you personally give for Dems taking the House and Senate?

When less than 50% turnout of registered voters (not to mention those not registered) qualifies as high enthusiasm, it just reinforces that idea that turnout is the most important thing. Maybe the only thing. You get an extra few percent of those who agree with you to turn out and vote, you’re likely to overwhelm any other kind of swing vote.

Good question. :)

It’s an interesting thing, because I think the arena sets up to give Democrats a better chance of re-taking the House. But…there are a lot more variables in play on the House side that will need to break their way.

Meanwhile for the Senate, I think there’s a lesser chance overall…but also much fewer variables in play. So, if a few things break right–Nelson holds on in Florida, Donnelly and McCaskill and Heitkamp hang on–then look out. Because Democrats look good in Tennessee, Nevada, and Arizona for flips.

Thanks, good insight.

For me, and I have zero actual data to back this up, I feel like the Blue Wave is being underestimated. Not only are the polls and talking heads skewed by the desire to have it be a closer horse race than it really is, but I also think that Republicans have little chance of recovering between now and November and a very high chance of making it worse.

We have a budget that has to get passed between now and then, and I don’t think Trump cares about mid-terms as much as he does about getting the money he wants for the wall. Not to mention all these actual Nazis who have ended up on the R tickets who are going to constantly call attention to themselves.

effing bread and circuses.

What we’ve got here is… failure to educate.
Now some electorates you just can’t reach.
So you get what we got here in 2016.
Which is the way they want it.
Well, they get it!