2017: Whither Democrats?

Hot tip, H. Sapiens: don’t automatically believe shit you see on social media.

Are you sure about that?

I don’t believe you.

But I read it on social media.

My bro-in-law is fully into whatever the #walkaway shit is. I hadn’t heard of it at all until I checked his twitter during one of my every-so-often “How crazy is my bro-in-law?” checks.

DemsInDisarray:

Short summary: superdelegates will no longer be allowed to vote on first-ballot nominees, and will only really have power to step in for contested conventions after multiple ballots have failed to produce a nominee.

Democrats must be free to nominate their own Trump.

I don’t want the DNC putting their thumb on the scale but I also don’t want the winner take all BS that got the Republicans to elect Trump. We need to have run off voting so that 5 competing good candidates don’t lose to a bad one because the 5 split the votes of the reasonable part of the party and the idiots get the idiot elected. That’s what happened with Trump.

We need to get rid of the Electoral College, period.

I agree with this but I’m talking about the primary process not the electoral college. Run off in the national would be pretty ace as well. :)

I know primary delegates are close to the electoral college but there are significant differences.

I’ve been coming around to this point of view as time goes on. Mostly because the Senate has more than proven that smaller states don’t have much to worry about when it comes to larger states. They can cockblock the entire country pretty easily, I’m not sure they need extra influence over the executive branch on top of it.

Then again the concern that all Presidents would fuck over a large chunk of the country and pander more heavily to CA, TX and NY is a valid one.

Should we be that concerned about the feelings of all that empty land? :D

Let’s all move to Wyoming. Our votes will be worth so much more!

Maybe a little bit, since a lot of our food comes from the small number of folks that live there.

In a nation as large as ours, geographically, i think there is some legitimate value to things like the Senate and electoral college which give some additional impact to less populous regions.

I think a lot of the winner take all rules with states are extremely problematic though.

If started allocated their electoral votes based on votes, i think you would likely get more representative results, while not being able to just ignore the middle of the country.

I’d be in favor of this, but the big states aren’t going to play ball and the Constitution protects them from ever having to doing so.

That’s a funny thought actually. How many liberals would need to set up in Wyoming to gain 2 senators and 1(?) electoral votes and 2(?) representatives?

Just one major tech company putting a headquarters there? 2?

I always wanted to set up a utopian society in Wyoming. I just don’t have the patiences to start a cult.

If Soros really wanted to make a difference, he’d stop hiring crisis actors and hire Wyoming cult … actors?

I’m dumb at the moment but I think we get it.

I fully expect one of the big tech companies to start a company town in someplace like Utah or Nebraska, and incentivize a large subset of their employees to move there (free/cheap housing, etc). Not for political reasons, just because the real estate situation out here in California is ridiculous.

But something like that might help to tip a state

Honestly, I don’t get why they didn’t do this a long time ago.