2017: Whither Democrats?

The partisanship is from both sides guys

Well, it isn’t the first time the republicans use the excuse of chemical weapons as a reason for attacking. Amazing how partisan the republicans are though, guess they follow their leader whomever it is.

The man who was one goofy yell away from being President.

Ah… back in the good old says when the voters were able to recognize insanity and idiocy.

Let’s be fair - voters still recognize that stuff. As long as it’s democrats doing it.

The narrative that the scream killed Dean is not really accurate although it makes for a good story.

I remember the news reports when it happened. By my recollection, it’s pretty close. He still had a long way to go and might not have won, but it seems unquestionable to me that the scream created a furor of “This guy is unstable” coverage that impacted his polling negatively.

The scream may have forestalled a comeback but it didn’t kill a front runner campaign. Below link expresses better than I can what I was trying to say.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/psmag.com/amp/p/ca74ddf76700

edit:

The winner of a presidential nomination contest tends to be the candidate with the most insider support, and Dean simply didn’t have that.

I know, I know. But those were pre-Trump times.

Democrats: still muddled.

What Democrats lack is a message on economics that can pass what he calls “the Listerine test.” Listerine had what Rivlin describes as a nearly perfect message: “Listerine kills the germs that cause bad breath.” Eight words that describe the problem, the solution and how it works.

The Republican message on the economy passes this test. It’s simple, easy to understand, and explains both every economic problem you could think of and what their solution is: Government is the problem, so if we cut taxes and cut regulations, the economy will blossom.

Democrats look at that message and cry, “But it doesn’t work!” We’ve tried it before, and the Trump administration is about to try it again, but we already know how it’s going to turn out. Prosperity for all is not on its way once we cut taxes and allow more pollution. But here’s the problem, according to Rivlin: Democrats have convinced themselves that the Republicans’ message is bogus, but average voters still respond quite positively to it, no matter how many times the policies fail in the real world.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/04/28/are-democrats-being-overconfident-about-2018-one-pollster-says-they-are/?utm_term=.1aaa7da0be10#comments

make the lower and middle classes more secure, and prosperity will wash across all tides.

It probably isn’t a good sign that polls are showing the Democratic party is even more unpopular than the historically unpopular president.

They’re more popular than the other party. Really all that matters in a 2 party system.

Remember when The West Wing filled you with optimism, rather than despair.

Only vaguely. It’s been a long time. :(

It still fills me with optimism. It’s been a balm.

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen is retiring and won’t run for her seat in 2018. That’s kinda big. Her district (Miami area) was Clinton +20 in 2016. Was going to be a tough hold for the Republicans anyway, now unless Democrats run Joe Stalin, it should be a pickup.

8 words

Lower taxes, more jobs for the middle class.

Print the t-shirts.

Why did so many Obama voters switch to Trump? Because they believe that Democrats’ policies favor the wealthy.

This actually makes sense to me.

So much of HIllary’s campaign messaging was around social progress and equality. If you’re struggling to make ends meet, those are the last things on your mind even if you don’t have a strong objection to those ideas.

It’s similar to how many people feel that only rich folks can afford to pay for children who wish to major in fine arts.