2017: Whither Democrats?

Tom Carper of Delaware survives a woefully underfunded challenge from the Left. I follow US politics fairly closely but I’ll admit I don’t recall hearing of him. He’s been in the US Senate since 2001!

At the University of Illinois.

Watching the video now. I almost forgot what a real President sounds like.

Hah, my thoughts exactly.

There’s a not completely dismissable theory out there that the reason DJT’s popularity numbers have tanked recently is McCain’s death and funeral and the related statesmanship around those events.

Interesting to see if Obama speaking in high profile continues that effect.

My favorite part is where (at 0:43) they substitute the boring red/white striped US flag for a more enthusiastic blue/white stripe model.

We’re Americans, we’re supposed to stand up to bullies. It shouldn’t be hard for us to stand up unequivocally to Nazi’s. How hard is it to say ‘Nazi’s are bad’

— President Obama

I take it the Big Dog is out?

I like that he focused on the intellectual and moral rot of the Republican Party as a whole, and on Trump as a symptom rather than a cause. There’s far too much attention paid to Trump’s crazy MAGA antics, and not nearly enough on the conditions that allowed him to happen.

Heck, IMO it’s enough to say that any Republican president, however congenial and respectable, would have equally gutted the EPA and denied climate change, which given the stakes for our species is a flat-out obscenity.

Of course, anyone who says that is clearly one of those ‘we want the planet to remain habitable’ wackos and must be ushered from polite company…

They can’t do those things unless they pull in the votes of racists and Nazis by appealing to their hate. So a Republican will never say Nazis are bad, because they need Nazis to vote for them or they won’t get elected. They used to be able to get by with just the Christian vote, but Christianity is on the decline so they had to dig deeper into the pit of American stupidity.

The terrifying thing is that these hateful people appear to outnumber the regular people in many states.

So I just watched Obama’s speech recorded earlier today, and you know, that was a hell of a speech. Great on content, great on delivery, great on timing, great on emotion and energy. I might be feeling the tiniest spark of that most dangerous of emotions, hope.

It was nice to see him back, and addressing the issues directly. I do wish he’d remain engaged for the last couple of years, but I understand the precedent (bowing out gracefully). Also, I can’t imagine he wasn’t disappointed and disillusioned when America elected the racist clown who spent several years accusing him of not being an American. I mean, he’s a better man than me. I would have left the damn country to go live on some remote island for the rest of my life.

I hope he’s campaigning for the mid-terms.

Hell, I watched it and hoped he was running.

Quite a speech from Obama today.

Yep, in Cali campaigning for many candidates there.

Hope he stays out there. Having him out there providing a counterpoint to Trump’s nonstop nonsense press cycles helps to paint things in pretty stark relief.