2017: Whither Democrats?

They don’t vote in Democratic Primaries.

I’m starting to think that being a mayor of NYC warps brains.

Scanning my post for where I said they do… hmm… not finding it.

Didn’t say you said that.

Rich people hate it when anyone seriously questions the prerogatives of Capital.

Cool. I will get to vote for her. I got several invites to see her speak, but it’s usually a fair distance away, or during times when I am parenting.

She was in my neighborhood in late July, canvassing with an older lady and a pre-teen girl. They were very nice, walked up my driveway while I was painting door trim in my garage with some noisy music blaring. The four of us talked for a good 5 minutes or so. It was really hot so I topped off their water before they left.

I wanna belieeeeeve…

Also, the Siena/NYT-Upshot live polling thing is addictive as hell. Nate Cohn has hinted they’ll be doing it up through the election, perhaps, including returning to previously polled districts.

I don’t want folks to think that Beto is going to win, because the reality is that if Cruz only wins by a tiny amount, that’s a loss. It’s like a, “HOLY CRAP, HOW DID CRUZ FUCK UP SO BAD” situation.

But if folks are like, “Beto’s gonna win!” then he loses by like 1 point, the idiot GOP folks are gonna be like, “Major victory for Cruz!”

But, on the flip side, if the Beto hype makes more folks vote for him, then that’s cool. He’s a strong candidate either way, and I kind of wish he was running somewhere which wasn’t texas, and I think he’d win… But then again, maybe he’s the kind of Democrat who can win in Texas. Whatever, Beto’s cool.

Also, there’s internal polling to suggest that Gillum is indeed pulling pulling Bill Nelson along behind him. Despite Rick Scott’s huge funding advantage, Nelson apparently has stopped falling and has a small lead.

Gillum has progressives, young voters, and voters of color energized like Nelson just can’t do on his own.

There’s the cold water I’ve suspected was out there to be thrown on this:

Gonna guess Beto’s position on guns is the problem.
This is still Texas.

Say it ain’t so, Beto!

edit: Maybe the GOP can rename itself to the Guns ‘n’ Embryos party? That’s what keeps the coalition together, I think? Oh, wait. I forgot the third pillar. Guns ‘n’ Embryos ‘n’ Rich Dudes.

the R is for Racism

Call me pedantic, but it didn’t feel right without that addition.

538 has Cruz at about 75% to win. Democrats don’t need to win this race to gain the Senate (though it would certainly help.) If McCaskill, Heitkamp and Nelson can hold their seats and Sinema wins Flake’s seat in Arizona and Rosen knocks out Heller in Nevada, that would be 51 votes, assuming no other surprises. Wins in TN or TX would strongly indicate a Democratic Senate majority for the next 2 years.

Probably. Kind of silly to run against guns in Texas imo.

I’m glad people keep trying though. Remember when Texas lawmakers were going to do something about the school shootings after one of their own schools was shot up? They’re just holding their breath until the next one, using the time honored strategy of thinking & praying to make things better.

Maybe. Something like 48% of the population of Texas lives in the Dallas or Houston metro areas. That goes to 55% if you add in the San Antonio metro area. At some point, city dwellers are city dwellers. Maybe we’re not at that point yet, but we’re close.