2017: Whither Democrats?

The Republican Party is the party of the bosses. Always the bosses, and only the bosses.

At this point, I, and suspect you, reach to mute or turn the channel within a minute of hearing him speak. But at the beginning of the campaign when he was a joke, he was entertaining. You never knew what he was going to say next, cause he said outrageous things, he was somewhat funny in the same way that a shock jock is.

One way of determining charisma is that rating of TV new shows always went up when Donald Trump was on the air. Or as Barbara Walter use to say about her controversial people on her 10 most fascinating people on TV speciasl “love him or hate him you can’t stop watching him.” (I think one of the most positive things is I think we are past peak Trump obsession. ) Trump is the perfect villain for reality TV, he is never boring.

I take your larger point, but I find his media appearances dull because they contain zero information. He never really says anything, just makes noises approximating a human being.

2 bad, 4 good.

Oh they have all kinds of information, like how Mexico only sends us theirs murders and rapist, NAFTA/Iran/NATO were the worst trade deals ever, the media is filled with liars, Hillary is criminal. It is just all the information is a lie, but for 1/3 of the country is comforting to hear somebody in power confirm all the stuff they believe is true.

Some notes on Claire McCaskill’s campaign, from a St Louis viewpoint:

• The Senate is off this week, so she’s in MO doing a bunch of campaign appearances. They’re all in the red areas of the state (which is most of the state).

• 80% of her campaign ads are about healthcare, particularly protection of pre-existing conditions. Some of them mention the tax cuts for the rich or a smattering of other issues. None of her ads mention Trump or reference him directly

• There are quite of lot of McCaskill ads on TV. She’s spending big. I’ve seen relatively few from her opponent (Josh Hawley, currently the state AG). There are a few anonymous attack ads referencing her as “millionare claire.”

I think this is how you win in a red state. She’s not going after Trump directly, she’s focused on an issue nearly everyone cares about, and she’s not afraid to campaign in Trump country. I am highly encouraged. 538 currently gives her a 63% chance.

Her statement late this afternoon officially announcing that she’s a NO on Kavanaugh said nothing about Roe v Wade, either. The entire focus of her detailed explanation of her NO vote regarded campaign finance laws and related transparency and ways that Kavanaugh has demonstrated opposition to dark money concerns in the past.

I thought it was a pretty wise way to phrase that for a red state senator.

The MN ones are heartening. Rep. Jason Lewis was an AM radio guy – a Rush Limbaugh type in a much smaller market. I started seeing ads on YouTube for him today where he is painting himself as an independent Republican and has nothing to do with all those regular Republicans. eyeroll.gif

Paulsen has also been showing TV ads making the laughable claim that he has also been distancing himself from Trump specifically. Paulsen’s major weakness with his constituency is that he never talks to them in town hall meetings and the like. His opponent paid for an ad where Bigfoot doubts his existence. It’s a little silly but such is the state of our democracy.

These glimpses of hope are vexing my soul and giving me the vapors, y’all

This attack ad on Paul Gosar of Arizona has to be seen to be believed. Watch it to the end, I promise you’ll be glad you did.

Holy crap. Thanksgiving is going to be extra awkward this year.

Wow. @Oghier I don’t think it will be awkward, it sounds like he straight up is disinvited.

Which I hope he has lots of time on his hands to contemplate as he’s looking for a job in November.

No kidding. Damn.

dems in disarray yo

Would you like to know more?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/407832-gop-lawmakers-siblings-endorse-dem-opponent-difficult-to-see-my-brother-as

There you go. That’s how you deal with a racist relative. You can still love them and try to make sure the world doesn’t suffer under their power at the same time.

I’m watching this ad, and then it cuts to Jennifer Gosar, and I’m all, “Where the hell is this person? That isn’t any Arizona I’ve ever fucking seen. That shit looks like Idaho or Montana, why does she care about AZ Politics?” Turns out it was Washington state.

But at least now I know why she cares.

Paul Gosar, the man you can hate from even very far away!

FWIW, northern Arizona has spots like that. The mogollon rim divides the state on climate a lot.