2017: Whither Democrats?

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

You walked into a trap. You’re buying their narrative.

A large part of this country is sexist and racist for doing so, but probably not people on this board. You pick your motives, but this is what the GOP wants, and you’re playing right into it.

Read that how you will.

That’s true, but why do we on this forum have to repeat it? As someone who is far left, it alternately amuses and enrages me that run of the mill liberals are labelled ‘far left.’ It’s like every talking point the right has is axiomatically assumed to be ‘the truth’, to the point it gets reflexively parroted without much thought.

I think it matters in US politics since the center tilts right when compared to European sensibilities.

I’m not sure this is true. You’d have to show me opinion polls on this. I don’t think she’s perceived as more liberal than any other Democrat from a blue state. Her economic policy proposals are more idiosyncratic than ideological. She published a popular book on how two income families are trapped and “why the usual remedies-child-support enforcement, subsidized daycare, and higher salaries for women-won’t solve the problem.” Those are some pretty unorthodox ideas for a progressive pol.

Again,

Take a run through this and look at the poll results on the economy, inequality, health care, unions, etc. I think you’ll find the country is a good deal more left than you give it credit for.

His opponents said he was a Marxist. So, there’s that. Maybe assessments of how far left candidates are, from assessors on the right, don’t mean that much?

Ignore what the pundits have to say about it. Watch the polls, preferrably in aggregate. The pundits don’t know a thing, I think that’s been more than adequately demonstrated by now.

Especially Chris Cillizza. I’d be hard pressed to find a worse hack than him.

I see Cory Booker is fourth, so is he disqualified too?

I think it’s best if Democrats disqualify the top 15, just to make sure they’re pretty palatable to former Republicans.

But the Republicans are saying the Democrats are the ones that want to cut these. I’m so confused! Benghazi?

Who could have known that cutting taxes while raising spending would lead to deficits?

Maybe we need a businessman as president.

I know! Noted moderate John Kasich would be a great Dem candidate in 2020. Surely his centrist policies and unassailable elite-white-maleness will bring the voters we need out to the polls!

Do you know how many people I know insist that the tax cuts have brought in massive revenue increases, it’s just that “spending is out of control”?

I’ll bet those are the same people who think the Kavanaugh hearings were a big win for the GOP. I hope they all have medicare.

I know, it’s fucking infuriating. I remember hearing Tea Party morons claiming that the answer to The Great Recession was to cut “all the out of control government spending.” :rolleyes:

And again, this becomes topical and worth the half hour spent listening to it:

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about the Santa Claus bit. I think Democratic candidates need to embrace tax cuts as a thing and look for other ways to raise revenue. Like Pigouvian taxes or taxes on the wealthy that won’t show up in people’s daily lives (i.e. a tax on stock options or golden parachutes or something), or that will be seen as a positive (i.e. carbon taxes). I’m not sure what the answer is, but the tax cut fairies are very difficult to defeat with government cheese, because it’s far easier for people to be fooled into thinking they got a tax cut than fooled into thinking they are getting food stamps.