2017: Whither Democrats?

No he can’t. That’s as racist as running around calling every black woman Harriet Tubman or Rosa Parks. Why on Earth would anyone except a racist and sexist asshole think that’s okay. And since those people are racist and sexist assholes, they probably would not vote for a Democrat anyway.

I don’t really care what Trump or any other racist and sexist asshole thinks and does, and I don’t know why anyone else would. If their vote was going to somehow turn because of that, that vote was lost anyway or just waiting for the next moment they got to see someone put a woman in her place.

I don’t know what your books says, but we have tribes here. I not only went to a Pow Wow but I participated in it, and they did not state they preferred Indian over Native American. That, of course, is just a small group of several tribes. I did learn a lot about the history of flat bread though which is not pretty.

He can and he will. What is going to stop him? He knows no shame, he is totally ignorant of of societal expectations. He is a child. Face it, he will do whatever he wants to do because his fans could care less.

The book actually spends time on why civilizations in the western hemisphere invented the wheel they never used it for anything, like grinding corn meal.

Can he literally say it, sure. Who is going to say that’s okay, racist and sexist assholes. People who won’t vote for someone other than Trump anyway.

No one has ever said he is winning any votes over because of his mouth. It is all aimed at what pollsters seem to think is an ever shrinking base.

Yes. He’s catering to his base. No one else has to concede those points. No one else has to give him wins he doesn’t deserve. No one else has to sit there and give him an ounce about timings, about the validity of DNA tests, about whether or not people with certain backgrounds have or do not have the right to identify as they do. Just by having the conversations, by even allowing him to shift the goalpost, writing about anything other than what an outrageous sexist and racist statement that is and has been… that gives power to Trump and all the little miscreants behind him.

Don’t you think Trump’s own response does that though. You argue rightly that only his base cares, but then you argue that…

I don’t think you can have it both ways, and neither can Trump.

The entire problem is the timing. Warner waits until after Nov 6th and nobody on the Dems side cares what she does. And is being 1% anything really worth claiming ownership of?

I’m so tired of this Kabuki world. Trump spends years treating Warren as a third grade bully would, then when she proves his insult to be false it’s a win for him and a disaster for her and the Dems are in disarray. Our whole political calculus is now premised on the idea that tens of millions of us are hateful douchebags.

If we keep behaving and thinking in this way we don’t deserve a proper representative government.

Exactly. there is no “good” timing to prove this man wrong. He’s often wrong. The fact we’re talking about timing at all is the fucking Democrats letting Trump lay out the board, the cards, set the rules and they play by them!

It’s ridiculous.

It means she didn’t freaking lie. So yes, it means something. The piece of shit news outlets should have just let Fox run with this bullshit story, said a simple statement or two about Warren’s family history and story being true and let it drop. But oh no, that wouldn’t be fun. Instead they have to run around talking about timings and the Democrats eat up bullshit like they’re starving. God. it wasn’t even difficult for the GOP to take control of this narrative.

They don’t even have to try anymore. They got the Democrats to turn against her, one of their own, just by having her tell the truth. It takes nothing, zero effort for them to to do this. And Jesus, now we’re talking about how far left a liberal is, as if we really have some counter coin to the actual Nazis the GOP has. What a joke.

The issue with all “news” programs atm is that it’s more about the opinions of the news than simply reporting the news. Like assholes, everyone has one.

RE: Indian vs other names, probably depends. My high school was small, so we combined teams with the rez school (Horsemen+Savages=Savage Horsemen) and I was friends with lots of Indians. They felt that being called Native Americans was pretty insulting to them for various reasons. Sure it differs based on the person and the location. This was a decade ago, though.

I had a friend in high school who was at least half Navajo. She went through our history book and crossed out everywhere it said “Indian” and wrote in “Native American”. That was one person 30 years ago, so take that for what it’s worth. I do tend to use “Native American” because of that experience, though.

Well I currently use Native American because I work with Indians, like people from India. If someone told me to use something else, I probably would but that could get a little confusing not that race comes up at work often.

Anyone watch the Cruz/Beto debate? Slate seems to think Cruz won it by being a jerk.

I just tried to watch the replay of it on Youtube. Made it about 10 seconds into Cruz’s first bit and couldn’t take anymore. It’s just mind-boggling that anyone votes for this smarmy toad.

At this time, there is no evidence of any kind that there is any entire problem to debate. Pundits pretending there is one doesn’t mean a damned thing. Watch the polls.

Most Native Americans whose personal opinions I’ve encountered on the NA/Indian thing strongly prefer being referred to by their actual identity, aka Lakota or Cherokee or whatever. But they have also been pretty fatalistic about the chances of white people actually doing so.

Folks need to prepare themselves for the fact that Cruz is going to win that election. I feel like folks are getting their hopes up for a longshot here.

We’ve had like 6 polls in the last 10 days showing Beto behind anywhere from 8-10 points. Who around here is expecting an upset in Texas?

I got a call from the Democratic Party of Texas contacting me if i was going to vote, who i was voting for, did i want a ride to the polls, ect. She sounded like she was from Austin.

I told her i already donated to his campaign and was trying my best to convince the people around me in the oil field to vote Democratic… you know. She laughed knowingly and sympathetically.

Democrats in Texas are used to losing in statewide races. We still haven’t found a voice that can go through the “omg regulation and taxes!” schtick; because, to be fair, Democrats do want to increase taxes and increase regulations.

And bless em for it