2017: Whither Democrats?

Don’t forget, free car inspections, some of the lowest gas prices in the country, and mandatory full service set up.

Heh, neither OR nor NJ offer full service really. Am I dating myself by saying that?

Nothing right now makes me happier than this. Unless Steve King got hit by a bus.

iowag

Love Hubbell’s low-key mojo. Really hope he wins.

I’ve gotten a shitload of mailings about how Reynolds has fucked the dog on Medicare privatization. We’ve also been seeing year after year stories about how our mental health system is basically non-existent after Branstad pushed for privatization and Reynolds is taking over for Terry without any of his nostalgia or name recognition.

Sorry to return to this for a second, but I (criminally) hadn’t watched the video she released with this announcement. Here it is:
https://twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/1051783184390664192

Maybe it’s just impossible to control the narrative here, and the media was always going to make it look like a tit-for-tat stunt, but that’s not what this video shows. It’s about as nuanced as you could want: basically (and most importantly) refutes the repeated lie that she ever used her heritage to gain advantage, acknowledges that she’s definitely not a member of a tribe, but discusses at length that this had been a part of her family’s lore and that Trump and other GOP assholes were both making egregiously racist attacks and calling her mother a liar. It’s a valiant attempt to thread the needle that unfortunately requires people to actually watch the video before jumping to conclusions.

New Jersey ‘s brackets are far better, but that one bracket that runs from $75k to $500k is…not ideal. Wow.

Matt, unfortunately this is where you’re 100% right and this is why Warren should have just let this go a long time ago. Nuance doesn’t matter to the media and no matter what she does and says at this point it’s just more red meat for the Trumpites and an unnecessary distraction from the issues that she is so right about.

Is there (still!) any evidence at all that this has harmed the Democrats and their midterm chances?

FiveThirtyEight now gives the Dems an 84% chance of winning the House, with an average pickup of 40 seats.

I doubt it would have any substantial impact on their midterm chances. For the Dems as a whole, it’s just an unnecessary distraction. For Warren personally, it’s something of a black eye, especially given the sharp response from the Cherokee Nation, but nothing that she doesn’t have plenty of time to overcome for a 2020 run. She just needs to let it go.

When Trump started his campaign talking about Mexican rapists, everyone went nuts and said “well, that’s the end of his run.” Guess what? Sometimes you’re not talking to everyone. Sometimes you’re talking to a very specific group of people and the rest of the country doesn’t matter.

The Democrats don’t know how to defend their own. They expect her to take year after year without barely a peep, and the minute she defends herself, they blame her for it. I don’t know why anyone would stick their neck out for this party. They sure as hell don’t support their own.

I have seen writers and talking heads taking Warren to task for this. I’ve seen people on this forum having issues with her for doing this.

I have not seen any members of the Democratic Party leadership doing that.

I pass no value judgment on those who have issues with her for doing this, and those who don’t fwiw.

As for why people would stick their necks out for the Democratic party, perhaps because they want to keep abortion safe and legal, they support the rights of women and minorities, they want to make healthcare more affordable, they want to keep gay marriage legal, etc.

And the record fundraising totals around the country support the notion that a great number of Democrats are sticking their necks out – and donating heavily – for other Democrats.

Donating from the safety of your home is not sticking your neck out. She’s front and center. She’s been a target from start. Just an endless stream of insults, sexist and racist, and her own party, members of her party, turns on her for releasing a tasteful video. You don’t have to pass judgment on them. I will and have. I’ve made that clear, and this has nothing to do with support of abortion or affordable healthcare or legal marriage. this is whether or not you blame the person who is being unfairly targeted for being targeted and why you blame her for that.

She’s out there, front and center, an open target, every day.

edit: and when I say you, I don’t always mean literally you but the last time i tried to clarify that I got jumped on. here’s to trying again.

This whole Warren-Native American thing is just another example of how Republicans and Democrats are playing under two different sets of rules. I personally think that Warren’s response was reasoned, clear, and answered the accusations and mocking that has been sent her way for years from the GOP (most notably Brown and Trump). Reminds me of Obama answering the birther outcry…you can be as logical and reasoned as you like, doesn’t matter.

Should she have simply done nothing? Probably, but I can certainly understand why she’d want to make an attempt to put this whole issue to rest. Didn’t work, obviously, and I’m pretty sure any reasonably competent marketing person could have told her that would be the case. Not because her response was bad, but because it simply wasn’t going to make a positive difference and would just give more ammunition to those who don’t care about the facts anyway.

Everyone i know from Oklahoma is a little bit Native American, for whatever reason. And most of them think it’s cool and that it’s a part of their heritage. Not a particularly defining part of course.

As I mentioned above, I think, California did it with a gas tax, but there were also increases in vehicle registration fees. The very thing that caused the governor’s recall that ended up with Arnold in charge.

Re: Warren, let’s not forget that she’s also been a leading voice against the abuses of the financial industry. If it weren’t for her there would be no CFPB. Yet another reason to have her back.
I’m not saying I necessarily want her to be the Presidential nominee (I’d prefer a younger person) but we could also do a lot worse.

Apparently policy means basically nothing in politics, or so the pundits tell me.

Fuck demos. No, seriously, fuck demos.