2017: Whither Democrats?

I certainly didn’t complain when Warren defended herself.

Taking a step back, I think you need to distinguish how the media talks about politicians, and how politicians talk about politicians. Politicians, D and R alike, rarely talk about other politicians unless there is an obvious personal benefit to doing so. Helping another random D or R is not enough.

The media is different. And maybe they are unfair to Warren, but that really comes as no surprise.

I’m not really asking the capital D’s to defend her. I think would be nice if they did, but i have very low expectation of our politicians knowing when they should step in and when they shouldn’t. I am also not engaging the media here. I watch other Democrats, little d, be led around by that media like sheep, allowing the GOP to control the narrative and shift the target back at her, as if they are not reason, this would be big R and little R, this crap keeps coming up in the first place. It is despicable to see people blame her as if she has not been turning the other cheek, for years, for years, around this. And motives behind that have a huge range from something very ugly to just politically cold and inhumane.

Fair enough. I think if you are a Warren supporter, then this whole Cherokee issue should be irrelevant. And if you are not a Warren supporter, then it is even more irrelevant.

Or you could just be human and find this entire situation unacceptable, lacking in human compassion and decency in general. What does any of that have to do with how you vote?

Cherokee heritage, tan suits, Dijon mustard. These days I am rarely surprised when liberal politicians are treated unacceptably by the media and/or squeamish supporters. Which I guess means I’ve come to accept it. Hopefully Warren isn’t losing any sleep over it.

Two of these things, you control. One of them you’re born with. If someone wants to call Warren an elitist because she admits to eating Dijon mustard during presidential debate, I’ll call them an idiot, but it’s not the same. I thought it was pretty stupid when people go after celebs and Trump for eating pizza with a fork too.

And unless you think she’s a flat-out liar, her video already proves she cares about this.

Yeah, it’s Warren’s fault they’re like this.

Clearly she picked the wrong time to say anything or these people would suddenly be decent human beings.

Heh, well done.

Jeez what a dickwad.

The way I see it, Nesrie said she thought Dems should be more supportive of Warren, you asked which Dems weren’t supportive, I said none of them had actually supported her, because they were afraid they’d be seen as endorsing her, and then you replied that they shouldn’t support her because they would be seen as endorsing her. I took issue with the idea of relying on polls, pundits, and twitter to tell you when it’s a good time to stand with people you agree with. Your response was to ignore the part about polls and memes and focus on the part about pundits so you could call me out for ignoring the part about VOTERS. Is that a fair summary?

Look, you may think it’s right for capital-D Democrats to step aside and call this her battle, or that it was appropriate for them not to weigh in on birtherism, but if so then don’t you have to concede the point that they are not supportive of a major party figure in a situation where she’s being attacked over her identity and trying to defend herself?

Rick Perry being mocked for debate gaffes is not even remotely similar. The attacks on Ted Cruz’s heritage are probably the closest thing but they already said they wouldn’t mind him being murdered.

No, not really. The point remains that influential Democratic politicians being seen as even mildly endorsing a candidate can create massive electoral headaches down the line with regards to turning out the party base. Democrats are still litigating the fallout from that from 2016 here in 2018. Why would they step in that tar pit again?

Have a good night. :)

Because this is an absurd premise built on a bullshit narrative that was driven by Russian propaganda and Trumpists far more than by butthurt Bernie Bros. It is a dumb, divisive, and defeatist lesson to learn from Hillary’s loss and this constant walking on eggshells doesn’t help anyone. I mean all the handwringing about her “doing this” before the midterms is like everyone thinks the prospect of a House victory is some precarious daydream and the slightest whisper will shatter it. Movements aren’t that fragile and voters aren’t that dumb. You think the party base sat at home in 2016 because they thought the primaries were rigged? That’s nonsense.

The media will gin up a primary rigging story no matter what, because they are primed to look for it. People will respond to what they see in the media. The leadership’s job is to prop up all Democrats, because otherwise why should anyone give a shit about getting Democrats gavels? The truth doesn’t speak for itself, it needs inches, clicks, and sound bytes just as much as the lies do.

I think you should define your terms.

Aaaaaaaanyway, Democrats having another strong-ish night in the NYT/Siena live polling.

I’m not sure how accurate those things are going to end up being. Would seem to me that if you were party of either party’s local CD-level leadership, you’d want to put your hardcore loyalists on alert to be ready to respond to calls from unknown phone numbers if you know that the Times is polling your district. But…maybe not. We’ll see in a few weeks!

The question is do voters really care about this, or just talking heads? I really don’t think the common person cares about this either way.

Encouraging sign - unless, you know, this is Trump’s much vaunted Red Wave

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/getting-a-jump-absentee-voting-in-virginia-spikes-three-weeks-ahead-of-election/2018/10/18/3ba595d0-d2e7-11e8-83d6-291fcead2ab1_story.html

But with a little less than three weeks before the Nov. 6 elections, local election officials say this year’s absentee totals are on pace to eclipse 2014 and may even approach the turnout for the presidential election of 2016, when a near-record 496,452 Virginians cast their ballots early.

“Weird, all these ballots are postmarked St. Petersburg.”

Every year I tell myself that I won’t read too much into early voting figures. And every year I come running back. :)

Honestly, we know that a lot of early voting is basically “cannibalizing” election day votes…but even so, depending on what figures are released by various state SoS offices it can be a decent way to anticipate voter engagement/enthusiasm.