2017: Whither Democrats?

Agreed 100%

It’s a free country. Hillary can say what she wants, publish what she wants, and she can even run for president again if she wants, though I’d be amazed if she came through the primaries.

I’m so fucking tired of Democrats jumping at their own shadow for fear of triggering people on the right. Fuck that, forever and for all eternity.

hour long wait to early vote in the second week of voting in austin. promising.

I’m fully cognizant that the Right will happily scaremonger and demonize anyone the Democrats choose to run, but I also don’t want to see more Hillary. I voted for her and think she would have made a good President, but we can do better than a repeat of the 2016 battle that we lost to a cretinous anal fissure like Donald Trump.

I’m ready for some new voices.

As I said, I seriously doubt she’d make it through the primaries anyway. It’s just funny how enraged people get whenever she opens her mouth. “Oh no she’s stealing the spotlight! She’s ruining the narrative! She’ll destroy us all!”

If we’re that fragile, America is fucked already.

Steve King is in some real trouble in Iowa.

He’s got no money (just $176,000 cash on hand), has done no advertising or campaigning, and his challenger has been gaining on him. A good pollster last night released a poll with him leading just 45-44.

AND, there is a growing feeling in the House from the GOP that they may have to dump him at some point. His antisemitism is hurting Republicans across the midwest right now after Pittsburgh, to the point that the NRCC chair today called him out publicly. Which is nuts.

(Needs to be noted: this is a Trump +37 district. King is likely to win, anyway. But he’s never been pushed this hard.)

Places Skipper should visit:
Iowa

Completely agree. I supported her with enthusiasm, and I believe she would have been a good President. But she lost to Trump once, and she’d likely lose to him again. I would vote against her in the primaries.

That said, she’s not going to run. She’s too smart for that.

Exactly.

It’s the reflexive ‘oh noes Hillary stop talking!’ shit that drives me batty.

Yeah… I think the GOP is desperate to find an issue to drive turnout. Look at what they’ve tried:

1. We’ll repeal Obamacare… oh, wait, you guys like it now?
  2. How about those tax cuts… oh, hell, you noticed they didn’t help you?
  3. What about that stock mar… fuck, we’ve lost all of 2018’s gains, mostly due to a stupid trade war?
  4. INVASION FROM MEXICO… but some of you will figure out it’s a small number of the desperately poor, on foot, several months away
  5. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and Bernie will turn us into Venezuala… ok, that helps a bit, but it’s not enough

oh, wait, I got it…

HILLARY’S BACK, remember how much you all hate her? For a party united mostly by hatreds and fears, Hillary is exactly what they need.

A pollster using exclusively online polls and with a 538 rating of C+ counts as good?

I’m going by Nate’s own characterization, and the fact that they polled 12 CDs and in those where you could match trendlines with the Siena/NYT polling, there was nothing out of the ordinary going on. Most of their polling of Lean R districts found a Democrat trailing by double-digits. The Iowa poll in King’s district stuck out like a sore thumb.

If we vote out Steve King I might have hope for my district.

I have done my part to elect Gillum, Nelson, et al. Thanks to the United States Postal Service for keeping me away from the polls here in central Floridatucky. Have we outsourced that yet?

Nice! I was in the middle of moving houses when my ballot was mailed to me, so it’s lost in limbo somewhere. I had to drive up to the county clerk’s office and have the ballot spoiled so I could early vote instead, which I did on Monday. It’s about 98% a protest vote because neither Chris Stewart or Mitt Romney have any chance of losing and most of the local offices have uncontested Republicans running, but at least I got to vote on Prop 2 (legalize medical marijuana).

Unless someone beats me to it, over the weekend I’ll start a Midterms 2018 catch-all/game day thread… and drop this image in.

But just as a first look, reminder:

Yeah, and for maximum confusion, set your clocks back an hour on Sunday night before the election. Well, if you have that where you live.

What does the New Hampshire coloring even mean? Some polls close at 7 and some polls close at 8? That seems messed up.

Also North Dakota.

And Kentucky and Indiana, get your acts together.

The weird lines in states like Florida, Kentucky, Indiana, Texas, the Dakotas, etc are due to time zones. So, in Indiana the polls close locally at 6pm, but in certain parts of the sate, that’s 7pm ET.

Oh, and New Hampshire seems to make things complicated just to make things complicated:

Polling hours 6:00a-8:00p EST (1100-0100 UTC). Polls must open by 11 AM however most open between 7 AM and 8 AM. NEW HAMPSHIRE permits its 13 cities to keep their polls open until 8 PM Eastern Time by local option- however, as there ARE only 13 cities among New Hampshire’s 234 County subdivisions [the 221 “non-cities”, of course, being the proverbial New England Town(ship)], the fact is that the vast majority of NH’s polls have closed by 7 PM Eastern Time and the networks have no problem considering this hour as the earliest hour of potential projection.

So, some cities in New Hampshire close at 8pm ET, but the networks ignore that and will start showing vote totals and any projections starting at 7pm. Yeesh.

Of course following Triggercut’s advice that we can’t glean too much from early voting… but I thought I would share some numbers for Colorado, which is full mail-in voting state. These come from a Republican pollster in the state:

The numbers for Araphoe county and Adam county are related to Congressional District 6 where GOP Congressman Mike Coffman is trying to defend his seat. Polling shows him down 8 to 10 pts and this is as potential flip for the Dems.

Numbers in El Paso and Douglas county are an early indicator of a lack of enthusiasm in GOP strongholds.