2017: Whither Democrats?

We do, I voted a week ago.

Good man. I’m in Portland (where according to the Trumppalos, I’m liable to be attacked by an Antifa mob as soon as I leave my house today), and I just mailed my ballot in yesterday.

With all of the voting nonsense going on, I am super paranoid about early voting, and absentee voting, as I think they are more likely to be rejected.

This may be a completely baseless theory, but the polling place isn’t too far from my house, so it won’t be too hard to vote tuesday.

Of course, as you know, once your vote disappears into the bowels of the election machine, it’s pretty much the same either way. You’re trusting that the process works, which, for the most part, it probably does (in civilized states, anyway).

Sporting my “I listen to Michigan Radio and I vote” button. Not strictly partisan but an NPR button is a pretty good indicator that I won’t be marking many (any) Rs on Tuesday.

Which is ironic, given that NPR goes to great lengths to be thorough, and non partisan. They don’t always do it right, they could stand to push a little harder particularly on the Jeff Flakes of the world (when they give them very soft interviews). But, broadly, NPR is doing it right ™

For a groundbreaking candidate in West Virginia, big money and attention come with downsides

Fine article about Richard Ojeda, Democrat running in deep red West Virginia. I’d vote for him. Hell, his music taste alone makes him awesome. Sadly, many are going to care more about a Republican majority in Congress than the actual candidate, as one voter says in that article.

Which I say to others as well. I’ll also mention that the political shows I listen to on my commute, even on MSNBC, will have both Democrats and Republicans on to discuss things, and they try to ensure to at least -mention- how things are being phrased, talked about, pushed on the Republican side.

So this makes me think, for any of you unfortunate enough to have to listen to Fox News, how do they actually attempt to cover the Democratic side of things? Do they have politicians from both sides on a program? Do they interview Democrats at any time on the show?

My big issue is they, too often, play into the narrative that many GOP politicians like to play. That being the furrowed brow I’m concerned by this, and am in no way an extreme partisan, while I never actually vote to buck the party.

Like Flake, they dedicated an entire episode of This American Life to Flake and the Kavanaugh vote. Played completely into his ‘I’m a moderate’ stance, yet when push came to shove he was a partisan hack. And NPR never challenged him on this. They let the republican pols present their public image they want, and don’t push back hard enough with reality.

I think a lot of the news is falling into that trap to be honest. MSNBC will parrot things SHS says during press conferences instead of directly, right then, calling them lies. For a while they would try to make it humorous, like, “alternative facts,” but I’m of the opinion if the facts are that it is a lie, call it a lie. You’re the news, tell us the facts as they are.

They do. But one thing I noticed Hannity liked to do (this is years ago, I’ve tried avoiding him since) is the age old trick of finding an absolute nutjob to represent the opposing view.

For example, if they’re discussing gun control in the wake of a mass shooting, they won’t bring in someone who gives a reasoned argument as to why we could target a couple loopholes here and there or do more to address mental illness. They’ll instead get someone more on the fringe who wants to round up every gun in America and mete out a prison sentence to anyone who refuses to give them up.

That’s a made up example, but it’s accurate to what I’ve seen when over at the parents’ house. It’s very effective, because it leaves people like my mother believing that she’s heard both sides, while also coming away with the idea that the other side is completely insane.

Yeah, me too. At first I replied. Then I got a text from “Pres. Trump.” Now I just block them.

Stumbled on this while browsing the NY Times. I didn’t know of the guy, but this is really sad. Colon cancer at 30.

I got a few robo-texts from a candidate in Michigan. I still have my Michigan telephone (cell) number, since there’s no point in changing them, but I guess since I was a 734, they assumed I could vote for her. But I’ve lived in Massachusetts and then New York over the past 15 months.

I texted back that I was no longer a Michigan resident, and believe it or not, I got an actual human response back, that thanked me for letting them know, and I haven’t gotten another text since then.

God that sucks. How unlucky can a guy be?

I’ve never responded to him, and I’ve still received about half a dozen of those robo-texts.

Yep, I still get Michigan robotexts as well. Didn’t even think of replying, heh. Maybe I’ll do that to the next one.

I’ve also gotten more calls and texts and flyers about voting for things like DA and Sheriff and such this cycle than ever before total inclusive. I take this as a good sign for the realization we all had five-ten years ago that gosh maybe focusing efforts solely on national offices and ceding statehouses to the GOP isn’t the greatest strategy.

I, of course, blame the Vichy Left. Collaborators, all of them.

I can say that a lot of the problems Dems are having right now is their voter info can be out of date - a lot of the Dem base tends to move more often.

Tucker Carlson likes to do that. Take something from the news and then bring in someone who is really so far out of it that even if you were sympathetic to their cause you would think they were nuts. I did see a guy on there a couple weeks ago (I rarely watch more than 5 minutes of Carlson or Hannity) who had Carlson stymied by his arguments. That was nice to see.

The mainstream media totally does this too! When they want to represent the Republicans they interview nutjobs like John Bolton, Stephen Miller, Rudy, Donald Trump…