2017: Whither Democrats?

The second tweet you posted was wrong. So, uh, there ya go. Interpret “wrong” however you want, I guess.

I think she should have been clearer about what the donation is for. She doesn’t actually say she is raising money for Abrams, she says she is raising money to make sure every vote is counted. It was double speak and not a good look.

Agreed, and that’s how that tweet should have read.

Trump is a criminal. This has nothing to do with Trump.

If Mitt Romney tried to raise funds for a colleague and half went to his Senate campaign, nobody would bat an eye. And no, I don’t think we should hold Democrats to higher ethical standards than Romney. We are just going to be disappointed. Politicians are our advocates, not our moral paragons.

You just compared a felony, tax fraud, with a senator raising money legally through online donations.

Thank you for the literal out loud laugh.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I’ll remember that next time the GOP does something unethical.
Seems to me it’s the Right Wing standard of, “Well they do it too/it’s only wrong if they do it.”

This isn’t even unethical. It says right on the page where your money is going. This is, at worst, selfish.

Shiva, I personally don’t really like this. There’s no reason for Harris to be splitting the funds at all.

That being said, after reading all these tweets I went to check it out myself. This isn’t “read the fine print”, it’s pretty obvious. You can’t look at the donation page without it staring you in the face.

I think it’s crass to use the Georgia election to try to raise money for herself as well, but this doesn’t strike me as trying to dupe people or nefarious. Just crass and in poor taste.

Why are you guys defending this act by Harris?

It’s not illegal.

But it is unethical, and shitty.

Fucking call people out when they do shitty stuff, even if you like them. Jesus Christ.

I’m not defending anything. I’m pointing out a misleading tweet.

I’m not defending anything. I just think it’s crass, not nefarious. Due to it being crass, I think less of her. I just disagree with the “it’s buried on fine print” hot takes.

Or put another way, I’m calling her out but being specific in what I’m calling her out about.

I’m definitely not defending Kevin “Kamala” C.

One person sort of defends politicians as a whole, everyone else talks about how misleading or shady it is and one person shows up and accuses everyone else of defending it. Whatever.

How is this different from the Avenatti donations, from this same thread, a month ago? It’s even the identical fine print.

jcdyncocv0ygpklg3azm

magnet’s position is consistent. Others, not so much.

It’s…basically the same thing.

I thought it was shady when Avenatti was doing it. I have been informed that he was hardly the first to do it on ActBlue, and obviously, isn’t the last.

Harris should’ve just put up a link to Abrams page instead of this one. Also seems shady at worst and unnecessary at best: Kamala Harris will have no problems raising money for whatever she runs for next, be it another senate term or something higher.

With that said: this isn’t felony tax fraud, either.

The conversation between then and now isn’t that different actually. A few people asked if was legal, a few said it’s shady, lots of discussion about Avenatti in general… there is no big reversal or contradiction here. It wasn’t fully well received last time either.

It’s not illegal. The Tweet is misleading, the note is clear, and it’s not a great look so I wish she hadn’t done it, him either.

I mean if Avenatti is your moral barometer… you probably don’t have one.

What I’ve gathered here is that if say my co-worker, Alice, had a GoFundMe for their mortgage so they don’t lose their house and then I put up a GoFundMe for their mortgage payment as well instead of linking people to theirs and just threw in a notation that I’m taking half the money, it wouldn’t be unethical at all. Cause you see, I told people they were giving me half the money.

Never mind that less money gets to the thing that needs doing. I’m helping. By skimming 50%. Oh also I own the local radio station or something so most people don’t know about Alice except through me. It’s basically a finders fee, so that makes it okay that I’m taking half. Which totally justifies not telling people about her GoFundMe.

See if I hadn’t “helped” a lot of people wouldn’t have known. I’m basically a hero at this point.

Or maybe I think/know Alice is screwed no matter what and I want to cash in on people’s good will.

Nah. Totally a hero who deserves half the take.

Avenati’s bullshit was totally shady. Being just like him is not a sign of good character

It’s just using Abrams as a fundraising tool. That’s all Harris is doing.

Because if she just wanted to get Abrams money, she could have, with zero effort, just directed people to Abrams own thing.

But instead, she saw that Abrams had a bunch of attention, and so she used it as an opportunity to fundraise for herself.

It’s a shitty, opportunistic move.

And really, this is Harris’ MO. I know that folks have become infatuated with her… but that’s a mistake. She isn’t who you guys think she is.

Good thing you guys found something totally trivial to get mad about. I guess the airline thread wasn’t enough.