2017: Whither Democrats?

Hillary spectacularly failed at doing this. She ground his gears quite well, but didn’t really connect with your typical voters. I think finding a self-made success story from blue collar roots, who is a woman would really grind his gears, and would be able to dodge any of the rich “washington insider” rhetoric thrown at Hillary (even though Hillary’s up-bringing was decidedly middle-class anyway)

I think it really could work though, because the 2018 totals have clearly shown that the suburban vote, and particularly the female suburban vote has swung hard against Trump, and if you put someone that looks and talks like these suburban women voters, any insult thrown at the candidate will feel like an insult thrown at the voter. (AOC has been riding this with the younger voters).

I really liked Hillary Clinton, and her story. I think for 2020 the Democrats can find someone even better.

Why would this be probably? She’s a natural born US citizen.

Look, I don’t think anything is certain anymore. Ted Cruz dropped out before this was tested, and you can bet the conservatives are going to fight a lot harder to stop someone not born in the U.S. from getting elected.

Well public opinion sure but you said legally probably okay. This isn’t really a grey area in the law. It says natural born citizen or citizen, like two separate things. They’re not supposed to the be same which is why they are listed. I get the hesitation based on our shit media and stupid voters, but law side, there is no reason to doubt this.

You are… uhh skipping a line there.

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President

The founders left themselves a grandfather clause. But that wouldn’t apply now.

Most scholars agree that the intention was to include anyone that had citizenship from birth, and not just born on U.S. soil. But many people (and I am sure some Trump team members) were starting to look into Ted Cruz’s standing as the primaries narrowed to 2.

You can bet if it is a democrat and a woman, the scrutiny will be much more intense, and who just got 2 more judges on the Supreme Court?

Ooh, just like me!

I used to wonder if I would be eligible for the presidency but when I became an open atheist it became a moot point.

She’ll have the votes she needs in January.

More intense like say Obama, during his election and his entire time in office? The Birther movement certainly began Trump’s ego walk to the Presidency but it led to pretty much nothing in court. The GOP will likely challenge anyone who wins, just like they already have. It’s standard course for that crooked party.

I think you mean DEMS IN DISARRAY? PELOSI SHORT OF SPEAKER VOTES

That may be so (since some people want to pretend birthright citizenship doesn’t really exist) but it has been tested. McCain was born in Panama, but his natural born-ness was never in question since he was born of American parents.

That’s 32 assholes saying no to Pelosi without any alternative. Nobody else is running!

I believe, the consensus of legal scholars is as long as one of your parents was a US citizen when you were born, you can become President, no matter where your were born . For example Winston Churchill, could have become president, as could have Obama even if he was born in Kenya. OR if you were born in the US (not well defined what that means) you are eligible to become president, no matter the citizenship of your parents.

However, Stephanie Murphy doesn’t qualify under either of these tests.

He was also a Republican, and Republicans are enormous hypocrites. Expect them to do anything at all to try and sink the Democratic candidate regardless of facts, law, or morality. Iti s how they operate. It is how they always operate. Because they are uniformly terrible people who we should spit on rather than recognize as equals :)

I am very angry today!

I should have clarified who I thought was being referenced, Tammy Duckworth.

Oh Tammy can become President. Unless sanity prevails and the Republicans nominated a Huntsman or Kasich, I’d happily vote for the woman. She is definitely in the top 5 folks I’d like to see them nominate.

Minority first term US Senator from Illinois? That would never work!

She is also biracial and grew up in Hawaii, definitely never would work. I thought she had served 2 more years than she did. Actually, I think she’d be a better candidate in 2024 or 2028.

McCain was born in Panama.

She did serve two terms in the US House of Representatives though. Which IMHO is more important/relevant than Obama’s pre-US Senator experience as a member of the Illinois State Senate.

If she were elected in 2020, she would have 4 years as a US Senator and 4 years as a US Congresswoman (+ experience in US Military and Veterans Affairs both at the Federal Level and State Level) vs. Obama’s 8 years as a US Senator + 7 years as an Illinois State Senator (+ Community Organizer experience).

I think she actually comes out on top in terms of relevant experience.

I totally understand that your politics are very different than my own, but I still think it’s the height of foolishness to believe that even a Noted Moderate like Kasich is going to result in anything but the same failed and immoral Republican policy and priorities we’ve had since Nixon.

Kinda like a President Bernie would still get us mostly mainstream Vichy Left garbage, but hey I takes what I can get, I suppose.