2017: Whither Democrats?

I mean, they claimed Obama was a Marxist Muslim Kenyan terrorist. What won’t they claim?

Sorry, not slamming them, I actually have a great respect for both, which is why I want them to continue to lead Democrats in the House and Senate. I’m just using them along with others like them as examples of the “old guard” which I do NOT want to see held up as frontrunners for 2020.

Exactly. By running someone like Warren the Dems play right into that same trap. Conservative Media wouldn’t need to do much work at all, they already have vaults full of garbage to recycle about how horrible Warren is for 'Murica. It would be Hillary 2.0 (which is probably the exact headline they’d run with). But as we’ve seen with newer, more charismatic candidates like Beto and AOC, Conservative Media often struggles to not self-own when taking shots, and in many cases end up making the candidate actually look more appealing.

2018 showed me that Democrats are becoming a little bit more election savvy, but they’re not quite where they need to be yet. Anti-Trump sentiment gave them a huge boost this time around, so they need to capitalize on that by fighting even harder in 2020. Democrats need to realize that elections are now won at street level, fighting in the mainstream media, social media and house to house for the hearts and minds of Americans. Handing the opposition a giant stockpile of ammunition is not a great way to start such a battle.

God it has been glorious fun to watch though hasn’t it?

From the AOC creepshots to making fun of Beto for being in a rock band. It has all been great fun.

But the Democrats need to nominate someone less than 50 years old. This person needs to be a veteran, self-made small business owner, woman, person of color, or an all around statesman(woman).

I hate that the Democrats are looking to run another white dude, but fuck if Trump needs to go, and if Beto polls ahead, we have to go with it. He at the very least needs a woman or a person of color as his running mate.

I don’t disagree with the conclusions above, but I will point out that by accepting this, you are ceding the initiative to the GOP. You’re left with all the second-tier candidates that the GOP has decided were NOT worthy of a smear-campaign, or young and inexperienced leaders who should have been red-shirted for a cycle or two.

Why should you care what his ethnicity is? Candidates should run on and be chosen by their merits, not their gender or race.

Hear, hear.

To buttress this a bit, the largest demographic groups – by far – who will be voting in the Democratic primaries in 2020 will be women and persons of color. If you’re a white guy who wins in that milieu, it means you’ve exhibited strong appeal to those groups.

Caveat: I’m not advocating that Warren run or that I’d be any kind of supporter.

But what exactly are these vaults full of garbage? People on this board keep saying these vague general things about Warren but no one ever offers any specifics. It’s maddening.

‘Exeunt’ means ‘everybody exits.’ You would just say ‘Exit Franken.’

Yup, feel free to punch me.

No, I appreciate the correction. I’m sure I’ve seen it used incorrectly elsewhere, which gives me an opportunity to pay the pedantry forward:)

I will not let the GOP dictate who we run. I don’t give a shit what they run on their propaganda machines and if some so-called conservative is still listening to that media, they’re already a lost cause. They’re just fishing for excuses to do the same thing they’ve been doing for years, and they’ll find one because they are desperately still looking.

The Democrats should not listen to the advice from the other party to determine who they run.

Hear, hear.

She’s been a very polarizing figure for a long time, cast as an ultra-liberal and crusader for a lot of ideas that even the center-right (if there are any of them left out there) find alarming. She may not have something on the level of Clinton’s “but her emails!” for Conservative Media to latch onto, but she’s been around long enough that they’ll find plenty of other fodder for their talking heads to regurgitate.

No one is saying we should. But when we do choose who we want to oppose Trump, the choice should be made with all strategic information and data considered. I have the utmost respect for Elizabeth Warren and her service to America over her career, but to run her against Trump is giving the GOP exactly what they most desire.

There is zero reason to take Warren off the table right now other than to cater to the GOP. I’m not saying she’s the right choice. I don’t know who the right choice is, but you don’t know what the GOP wants. All they do is lie and sell false facts and narratives all day. She’s as valid as a consideration as anyone else if you remove any consideration the GOP has for the choice. Who cares what they think? The people who listen to them will just listen to some other garbage they peddle no matter who is chosen.

Yeah, it amazes me how hard it is to get this point across.

Obama won twice and he was demonized to all getout. Birtherism, ‘pallin’ around with terrorists,’ all that crap.

Foxers are gonna Fox. Dems need to give exactly 0% attention to their fucked up headstate.

I will again refer us all to General Grant:

A general officer came in from his command at this juncture, and said to the general-in-chief, speaking rapidly and laboring under considerable excitement: “General Grant, this is a crisis that cannot be looked upon too seriously. I know Lee’s methods well by past experience ; he will throw his whole army between us and the Rapidan, and cut us off completely from our communications.” The general rose to his feet, took his cigar out of his mouth, turned to the officer, and replied, with a degree of animation which he seldom manifested : “Oh, I am heartily tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think he is suddenly going to turn a double somersault, and land in our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time. Go back to your command, and try to think what we are going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do.” The officer retired rather crestfallen, and without saying a word in reply.

Campaigning with Grant, Horace Porter

This is fantastic, thank you for sharing!

Equally difficult to get a cross is the idea that there is the hardcore Fox News watching Trump base and there are conservatives who might watch Fox News along with other news programs but aren’t sucked completely into Hannity Space. I’m talking about the Evan McMullins of the world. They can be reached. They might not agree with a progressive agenda but they do want to stop Trump.

Well, Warren isn’t radically left of other Dem bigwigs at the moment, near as I can tell. (Happy to be corrected on that point.)

The knocks against her are a) she’s a schoolmarmish woman kinda like Hillary, and b) Pocahontas. I think any voter moved by either of those things is lost anyway.

One of the reasons I am obsessed with studying the Civil War is because it produced so many fucking badass moments.

That’s an awesome quote. Thank you for sharing.