2017: Whither Democrats?

Imagine the thousands of Donald Trump quotes that historians will be able to enjoy in the years to come.

I’m not going to argue the point in circles. There have been plenty of articles written on why Warren isn’t the best choice for 2020. I’m just going to say that I sincerely hope you and @Gordon_Cameron are correct, and that whomever we choose will win on a tidal wave of anti-Trump support. After all, everyone in this thread wants the same thing, even if we disagree with the strategy on how to get there.

I’m not saying I prefer Warren, by the way. I want to see the crucible of the primaries do its work and spit out a hard, burnished, tough candidate, whoever he or she may be. There really is no presumptive nominee this time, which IMO is all to the good.

I just really refuse to give one microsecond’s respect to all that Pocahontas horseshit, which as far as I can tell remains Warren’s one ‘real’ vulnerability.

Cockroach Herodotus will be a busy little arthropod.

Punch

It means “multiple people exit”. “Everybody exits” would be “exeunt omnes”.

Curses! Outpedanted!

I live in Massachusetts. She’s not exactly popular here, much less country-wide. She did the worst of Democratic incumbents in this 538 report.

Massachusetts is an interesting ground for Dem candidates. We aren’t as blue as people think, and the entire central part of the state is pretty red. My town pretty much goes 100% red, even for Trump.

Except in context, the omnes is often omitted.

Who to run is less a matter of “letting the Republicans dictate” and more of “who will people in the middle vote for.”

You can pretend that decades of GOP smearing doesn’t matter, but it does. That’s why we have a President Trump. Obama broke through it, but they had next to no time to work on him. He came out of nowhere and was incredibly charismatic at a time when the nation was really pissed at the GOP for shitting the bed.

Warren isn’t a good choice for the same reason Clinton wasn’t. She’s not especially charismatic and she has decades of smearing against her. If you want an old guard, Biden is far more viable. It’s hard not to like the dude and the only thing the GOP can target is his occasional derping, which is basically impossible for them to do while Trump walks around saying dumber things than the dumbest thing Biden ever said several times per day.

I think the better approach is your Duckworths, maybe your Betos or the like. Younger people, especially with military backgrounds are harder for the GOP to come at and get traction. With a modicum of charisma attempts to Swift Boat them will fail and it’s not like Trump doesn’t shit on the troops anyway. The way we treat vets like shit resonates HARD even with people who are devoted Republicans. Get a vet in there and be the party that cleans up the VA and people will be there in spades.

The future of the Democratic party, imo, is in female veterans. It’s hard for the Fox Newses of the world to get traction against them. Duckworth has been impregnable against their bullshit. And people in the middle like them, which is the part that matters the most.

Edit: And all that said, it might not matter if the economy takes a shit, which is pretty likely. If that happens you can run nearly anyone and probably squeeze out a win.

You may be tactically correct, but I am so sick of the underlying frame and assumptions that says a Democrat has to be a fucking medal of honor recipient to overcome the innate belief that all Democrats are unpatriotic hippies, while Cadet Bone Spurs waltzes on through.

I just can’t go with that line of thinking any more. It makes my brain explode, it’s so stupid.

You don’t need to win over the hard core GOP voters. You won’t. Especially not the guys who are left in that party.

But you do need to win over the Independents.

There are more of them than Democrats. A lot more.

Yeah we should not limit the options to veterans just because the GOP likes to go after anyone who is not a veteran… while electing one themselves.

The point is yeah Republican potential smear campaign, no. We put the best forward and weed them out through out process not theirs.

Bah, independents. They don’t exist…at least in the popular sense of the “swing voter”. They’re just partisans who think they’re too smart to be labelled.

I picked Independent when I moved to Florida. Then I found out that they’re Closed Primary here. Oh well.

If that was true one party would always be in control. Yet every 8 years we tend to swap.

Those people are out there and they decide elections.

I mean, sure. they’re out there, but not in large numbers. There are certainly a large group of independents who don’t know anything about politics or current events and don’t really give a shit…but making party decisions based on what a bunch of dummies who are more likely than not to even show up to the polls would be pretty silly.

As always, it’s about who turns out their electorate.

In terms of actual registered voters, there are more Independents than Democrats.

True, I am not registered to either party. However it would be intellectually dishonest to claim I am truly neutral, and equally consider both parties.

I am not intellectually dishonest. I’m just a Democrat who has not officially declared party affiliation because Illinois has open primaries so I had no need.

Guys, let’s make sure to pander to the “undecided voter,” like the ones in this documentary.