2017: Whither Democrats?

As a Minnesotan, Klobuchar is…fine? Not the kind of charisma I’m hoping for in a Presidential candidate, fails my general “don’t nominate prosecutors if you can help it” rubric, and has always left me with the impression of being a vaguely milquetoast middle-of-the-road nanny-state Democrat.

Don’t get me wrong, I have voted for her as Senator every time she’s run. But she’s not the kind of candidate that would have me jumping out of bed at six AM to go canvassing on a Sunday.

Wha? This is patently absurd. There is no responsibility on the Democrat side for loss of civility in politics. And no one the Dems put up would improve it - all weight lies on the republican side (and they have shown almost zero interest of returning to civility).

Twitter is a hive of scum and villainy.

Don’t you think the GOP leadership said the same thing when Trump announced he was running? That the people would se how unqualified he was and select someone like Jeb Bush who was actually a republican.

No. I don’t.

I do think they didn’t give a shit that the Democrats didn’t like him. That they weren’t over there wringing their hands together trying to figure out what candidate they could put that would get half-ass approval from the opposing party. And by half-ass I mean a nod but it’s not like they were actually gong to to vote Democrat.

And to be clear, we’re talking about what the Democrats thought of the GOP candidates and vice verse. We’re not talking about the GOP worrying about it because the people in their party were worried about their values and their approach. The only reason we’re talking about DNA is because Trump has been harassing her for years over something that is actually factually true and what do we do with that… validate him, of course we do. They play the Democrats like a well-worn instrument.

Warren isn’t unqualified, though. She is a serious public servant.

Trump.Is.A.Republican.

I hope the Dems do the mass cattle call for contestants. They are going to need the practice for the general. My only hope is the DNC doesn’t just push a favorite. They need a bloody primary to get ready for the GOP.

I dunno, I kinda think the lesson of Trump is that with a large field of candidates the ‘respectable’ ones cancel each other out and leave room for someone much less electable to emerge as the leader. The Dems don’t have a Trump, of course, or if they do I don’t know who it is; but it’s still a risk.

Yeah, you don’t want a clown car. You also don’t want like 2 people and a token dude that has no chance either.

Sorry, Bill Clinton, I thought context would make that more obvious. My bad though.

Just reviewing Democrats who won states Democrats need to win for electoral victory (WI+MI+PA+NH>OH+FL). The Democrats who qualify for that distinction are Obama and Bill Clinton. And yes you are right, Clinton was (is) a neoliberal, who are in effect moderate Republicans but that’s the reality. Republicans however painted him as a raging liberal, as they will do with any Democrat regardless, which leads me to my next point.

No. I don’t know what it means when people say “[someone] is too liberal” and I’m trying (futilely it turns out) to discover what that means.

Bill Clinton and Obama were both able to communicate effectively to normal people. Same goes for Bush.

That’s what you need to be president.

It sounds like the Republicans on the board are in agreement that what Democrats really need to do is nominate a Republican.

I think the midterms made it pretty clear that Americans really want Republican leadership, so it just makes sense.

Just want you to nominate someone who beats Trump.

I’ll vote for literally anyone you put you there.

This is the key attribute.
For all the many and numerous posts on the forum about how much people didn’t like (or hate, even) Hillary Clinton, no one ever really says why - it’s just like of course we don’t like Hillary, isn’t it obvious why?

But, HRC’s key flaw I think is she didn’t come across as authentic. So when the talking points get repeated about someone like Warren - “she’s too far left, she’s too liberal, she’s too much like Hillary” I try to challenge those talking points for explanations that offer more substance: Why. Warren doesn’t strike me as someone who panders or equivocates.

(All that said and to return to an earlier point, this is why I’m leaning towards Klobuchar - because she is authentic, and yes nice, and I think by the time 2020 rolls around people are going to be dog tired of conflict politics. I see this trend in network TV shows that are doing well, “the feel good shows” so to speak such as The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and This is Us. I would go so far as to wager that “ignoring” trump might be a winning strategy too. His vileness is obvious, no one needs to point it out, nor does anyone have to dignify his attacks with a response.)

Yes, she parsed her words hypercautiously, probably both from legal experience and from decades of nonstop attacks by her enemies. Of course, she didn’t actually lie a tenth as much as Trump does, but Trump was perceived by many as ‘more authentic.’

Humans are broken in quite gameable ways, as any con man knows.

The epithet for 2016.

O’Rourke/Gillum. Please.

Compared to Trump Warren is plenty qualified, but my point was that the GOP leadership didn’t pick Trump, in fact I think they probably considered the 2016 election a complete waste of time until election night when somehow things went there way.