2017: Whither Democrats?

And it was valid then too… he got better.

Yeah, but at least Obama won his Senate race.

1. I’m well aware of Beto’s shortcomings both real and imagined, but
  2. I’m also well aware that he’s got time to get better (Obama was TERRIBLE throughout the winter, spring and summer of 2007), and
  3. I’m not sure any of that matters. He could be a big train coming down the tracks. If he runs, it may be be either get on, or get outta the way.

We’ll see.

Beto was apparently a U.S. representative for six years. I didn’t notice at the time. Better than no political experience at all, but I’d also like to see more of a record before he wins any primaries.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1073011735685152768

I know a lot of people who like her, but I don’t know if I could pull the lever for her after the Assad/Syria stuff.

If she does run, and if Bernie runs, she’s going to peel off a chunk of his votes from the Bernie Base.

It’s also possible, however, that Gabbard’s active application for a place in Donald Trump’s cabinet may have taken the bloom off all those DSA roses that embraced her so much in 2016.

I doubt she runs. There are apparently so many skeletons in that closet that the oppo on her looks like an old Manhattan phone book.

Yeah, I think Tulsi Gabbard is way more likely to end up as the next Jill Stein than the next Barack Obama.

Yeah, i was just gonna point this out…

But still, Obama’s lack of experience did in fact negatively impact his presidency.

Well that’s why I said he was valid, but I am not about to put all my hopes and dreams on someone who hasn’t proven themselves yet. If he does wind up pulling ahead of the pack, and there should be a pack of a variety of offerings, so be it.

But it was an asset and impacted positively his getting elected president, which is the shooting match.

Yes, it’s true. Lots of voters are dumb, and buy into the “i want an outsider” crap.

I feel like the Democrats must have some decent governors who could do the job though.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Gavin Newsom, the new governor of California. I don’t see him in 2020, but in 2024 I would bet he makes a run.

I’d vote for his second cousin, twice removed!

Get ready for ‘Plumpjack’ to be all over Fox News chirons

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8890601-181/businesses-pose-issue-if-gavin

Our governor here in Washington State, Jay Inslee, is prepping for his run. He’s been big on the ‘Green Energy’ message, so if that actually goes anywhere with this new House, he could do well.

Fox should love a successful businessman running for president.

I think it unfortunately doesn’t matter how qualified Warren is or how good her policies are. Because there are people who might otherwise be pulled away from Trump by a charismatic white guy who are easy prey for the sniping, vicious, misogynous attacks that the right loves to make. As if Warren’s silly Indian thing compares to rape, fraud, mob affiliations, foreign agency, and the myriad other real crimes Trump has committed.

On the other hand, for the Democrats to run a billionaire is just plain idiotic.

I’d be stoked for Inslee or Merkley, or even Tester from MT but unfortunately I just can’t see candidates like that gaining any traction in a crowded field. In a sane world, climate change would be the single most pressing issue and whoever takes up the mantle of leadership would become the nominee and eventual President - but American corporate media simply give no fucks about climate change or any environmental issues for that matter. They’d find ways of manufacturing drama or scandal or invent ways of keeping the election a horse race. (Even though environmental issues poll well, they have never in any election I’m aware of been a deciding factor for a plurality of voters. By 2024 or 2030 this might change, but by then it will be too late. Probably already is.)

While browsing a (depressing actually) ‘election 2020’ reddit thread, I did run across decent reasoning that would make a one term Biden presidency more palatable.

Hes been hunting at being a one term president to enact the unsexy structural policies. Such as voting reform, gerrymandering reform, campaign finance, codifying presidential norms, ethics and avenues of redress.

Once he fixes that, he will step back to allow a younger generation to come forward and to handily enact a comprehensive progressive agenda without fear of an unfair electoral backlash.