2017: Whither Democrats?

A few Beto links:

He’s not a well seasoned politician, but that might just be fine. He does know how the process works, and appears to have thoughts about how to change that for the better.

I would rather have someone experienced than Beto for sure, but I just want the person most likely to beat Trump to win the primaries. I think it’s possible that is Beto. Trump is an existential risk to Democracy.

Yup45

We have to get to the bottom of HIllary’s emails. Where is the server, anyway? Once we have that resolved, then we can tackle issues like climate change.

Every time someone does this, I do a doubletake, thinking it’s like a secret Trump supporter handshake:)

the truth is out there

Gillum got hit with this stuff pretty hard down in Florida. It may have hurt him just enough to have lost.

I have a love/hate relationship with her, but right now, I do still love her…

I disagree, and I think if she actually starts campaigning you will see a shift in her popularity among Democrats.

These are more likely to be reasons for her current polling numbers than the DNA test thing or Trump’s name calling. I would add one more to the list: when she isn’t on the national stage, people just think “old white lady = Hillary and we tried that already”. They may continue to think that once she is on the national stage, but it’s the biggest weakness she will have to overcome.

There is certainly a clear path to this, but we won’t know if Beto is Obama or even Obama-lite until he actually gets out there and starts stumping across the country. That said, he is almost certainly wrong to wait and hope he can just walk in 4 or 8 years from now. Warren’s current struggles show how important it is to act when the momentum is there.

I was wondering why she dropped off everyone’s radar.

Hmm, somehow I missed this? Her position is that we should end the war by supporting Assad or is it some other weirdness?

Beating Trump means mobilizing a national campaign and fighting everywhere. The rest is just tea leaf reading and arguing about angels on a pinhead. The primaries are for choose the person you actually want to be President, so you can then turn up and fight hard for their victory even when some stuff doesn’t quite go your way. Pushing someone you are lukewarm on based on some electability formula other than “would be the best President” is foolish. When was the last time the most-electable candidate won the general (not counting incumbent Presidents, obv)?

So courageous of her to say that a month after the election!

I’m gonna ask a question that everyone will point and laugh at, but I’m interested to hear the laughing.

I have no idea who the Democrats will put up, but what if they ran Kasich as the VP?

In some ways, it’d be reminiscent of what McCain should have done, in running lieberman as his VP.

But i could see it as allowing someone like Beto who is fairly progressive, to pull in some more moderates. Further, someone like Kasich could potentially help Beto get workable policy through Congress. He’s got a lot of experience as governor of Ohio, and he served in Congress for a long time.

It would also potentially help dial down some of the partisanship. The far right hates Kasich as much as anyone, but he could maybe pull some moderates on board.

Anyway, commence with the pointing and laughing.

See, this is where we’re going to have to agree to disagree. Democrats do not need to become Republicans (or run one of them) to win.

Cut it the fuck out.

I would hope no legitimate Democratic candidate would run with a religious nut as their VP. Would really steer me away from them.

Jesus Christ.

Perhaps not, but i think that it might make him more effective as a president.

The president directs policy. It’s not like the VP gets a vote. But i feel like such a team could be more effective at governing in the current political climate.

No it wouldn’t. They could run an inanimate object and you would vote for them.

Hahahahahahaahahahaaha wow

What the frak?

Let’s see, Beto + legit VP or some random nutso Democrat + Kasich. Tough call.

(edited for BSG purposes)

Seriously, you (and me) will vote for anyone the Democrats put up against Trump. It wasn’t meant as a pejorative, sorry.