2017: Whither Democrats?

All other issues aside, we cannot have Kasich as a VP on a Dem ticket as it would be WAY WAY WAY too much of an attraction for an assassination type situation. No, really. We’ve had relatively little real violence in our Cold Civil War thus far, but this would be a huge mistake on a global scale.

The idea that control of the country could be switched by a single individual willing to die for their cause (or be in prison for life) is just way too freaking much risk to take.

There are many other reasons to oppose, but just from a standpoint of pragmatism this is a truly terrible idea.

Timex, I know you mean well from your POV on this but it’s a terrible idea in many ways.

Oh wait, you mean in the General election - in which case, yeah, I’d vote for the non-Trump ticket.

But really, I don’t see any Democrat getting Primary votes if there’s any indication they’d run with Kasich, or another similar VP.

It seems to me that any general election Democrat who chose Kasich as their running mate would face open revolt.

You know what would be the ideal way to help hypothetical President Beto get policy through Congress? Burn the fucking GOP to the ground.

Eh, i considered this, but it seems far fetched.

Any nut who would try to kill him would be exactly as likely to do so with any other VP. None of the crazy right-wing nuts like Kasich at all. They hate him, probably more than Beto

Well, selection of the VP is usually done after the nomination.

And yeah, I knew this idea would receive this response, i was just interested in seeing how it’s manifest itself. I don’t expect such a thing could ever happen.

Well, this kind of ticket could be a mechanism for doing exactly that. Get all the non crazies from the GOP, leaving nothing left, and then having some new conservative party break off from the Democrats in the next cycle.

LOL45

Yeah. No.

I strongly disagree with this. Anti-abortion right-wing nuts, who have demonstrated that they are at least as murderous as any, would probably embrace this particular calculation.

Where is the thread for me to wonder aloud what would happen if Trump dumped Pence and picked Stacy Abrams for VP in 2020?

Because that’s equally realistic and as much of a troll post as this one.

There is no good reason to put Kasich on the Democratic ticket. If there are conservatives that want reasonable choices to choose from, they can fix their party, or better yet, burn it down and make a new one. If they want to join the Democratic party, like really join it and not just hide out here until this Trump thing blows over, go ahead, add the conservative voice but the established Republicans doing that would have to earn their voice which means starting at Zero and proving they can actually work within the party as conservatives who are also actual Democrats.

AIN’T NO 'MOJI LULZ ENOUGH

But seriously, fuck no lol. Kasich is a hardcore conservative. Fuck him. Yay he doesn’t literally believe the gummint is Satan like the Tea Party, I guess?

Fuck outta here with that shit.

e: Yes I know @Timex is trolling, but I stand by this post.

I didn’t actually mean it as trolling, in that i didn’t intend to inspire crazy rage. I just wanted to see what folks would say.

So you are saying Kasich would renounce the GOP and register as a Democrat?

It would help if the VP choice was a southern Democrat.

Nah, i was suggesting a split ticket, but at this point it really doesn’t matter as he’s a pariah in the GOP, and folks here think he’s a hard core conservative and entirely incompatible with their views.

And also because he’s a Republican, and doing that would be insane.

It does seem strange that his religious beliefs would eliminate him as a choice. Unless by that they just mean his stance on abortion. I am sure lots of Dems go to church and have some kind of religious beliefs. That God guy is everywhere.

See, i don’t see that as inherently insane. I think McCain should have picked Lieberman, despite Joe being a Democrat.

It’s as if Palin didn’t exist, and we don’t know what McCain actually did.

You seriously think McCain/Lieberman would have beaten Obama? They would have been ostracized by their own party. They’d get zero support from Rs or Ds. It’d be like mounting a 3rd party run.