2017: Whither Democrats?

Maybe you should google Maher then. :D

Googling… I’ll update this post when I find out what he did.

Ok I saw it. Bad move Bill. Joke wasn’t even funny, it wasn’t worth burning your only Official Apology for the year.

He’s right about the Democrats though.

Let’s just say that Maher stepped in it by saying something racist and leave it at that.

Never been a fan of the guy, and don’t care. But even as someone who ignores him, this peaked into my attention.

Love love love Kander, but the problem for him is that it’s tough to get him back on the train, so to speak. He lives in an R +10 congressional district, which could be do-able in 2018, but he’s going to have to get started.

Kander can appeal to moderate Republicans, I think.

If he had won election last year, he would have been a good candidate in 2020- right now he lacks experience, but would be a good pick for a cabinet post.

Or a governorship.

Honestly, he doesn’t need to be president. The guy’s young. He’s only 36.

But he can be a powerful player down the road.

Here in the Commonwealth, we’re gearing up for a primary next Tuesday. The monthly meeting of Weeping Safe-Space Librul Snowflakes was last night and we were doing all the logistics for the day itself and also Saturday, where you can do “in-person absentee” ballots if you choose. Known to few, you were also allowed to turn in an absentee ballot any time since last Tuesday if you dropped by the head DNC office.

One cute little statistic stuck out for me, and it’s one that ought to strike fear into the tiny heart of any GOP operative looking at 2018: The number of Democrat absentee ballots already cast for this off-off-year primary election already exceeds the number of absentee ballots that were cast in Virginia for the 2016 primary between Bernie and Hillary. Let me re–emphasize: more people have voted absentee for this very minor fight for who gets to run for Virginia Governor that voted absentee for the still very contentious Sanders V. Clinton fight, and we haven’t even reached the day when people are supposed to submit their absentee ballots.

I’m just curious whether Trumps 34-36% popularity in Virginia will have coattails to allow Democrats to re-take the Virginia Assembly.

I think it will be difficult because the disapproval is so concentrated regionally. It will be much more telling in statewide elections.

Are you sure about that? What you seem to be suggesting is further increase in polarization. But there have actually a been a bunch of state legislative special elections this year, with a shift toward the Democrats across the board: Democrats Are Overperforming In Special Elections Almost Everywhere | FiveThirtyEight

Do you think that favors Periello or the other guy?

Honestly, I hadn’t given it a lot of thought beyond it being bad news for Republicans. I guess I would think that it’s probably better for Periello than Northam, on the assumption that the new and energized people joining the party lean further Left than the old fogeys.

[For those not following Virginia politics, Periello is the Bernie-backed candidate while Northam is the “establishment” guy.]

But I think you should be careful in assuming that more people coming out means that the new folks are radicals or add to the extreme end of the Party. While that’s what happened with the Tea Party in response to Obama, I’m not sure this situation is analogous. What I’ve been seeing is mostly older, solid, but previously-unmotivated Democrats getting involved in the party for the first time rather than young people.

But that could just be confirmation bias on my part.

Things looking a little brighter for Ossoff, perhaps.

Handel’s “I do not support a livable wage” comment from the debate was a pretty bad gaffe.

Context for those of us who aren’t watching? For instance, isn’t Handel primarily interested in arpeggiation and annoyingly long sixteenth-note runs?

e: Hah this sounds more confrontational than I intended. Just trying to make a funny while asking for context I don’t have in good faith.

You got a laugh out of me, for what it’s worth.

Question from a viewer for the debate: “Do you support an increase in the minimum wage?”

Ossoff gives a reasoned answer: Yes, and here’s how.

Handel: “I do not support a livable wage.”

Oof.

Haaaaaaaaahahahahaha, that’s excellent. Thanks.

e: (I mean, also horrible for those of us who care for our fellow man, because god dammit. But you know what I mean.)

That may as well be the official GOP slogan.