2017: Whither Democrats?

Dammit dammit dammit.

Fuck all the imbeciles that continue to support the shitty GOP agenda.

It’s all team ball, all the time, even if the party is being run by an embarrassing, corrupt moron. With 80-some percent of the precincts reporting, it’s looking like Handel wins it with about a 5 point margin, thus emboldening the Trumpistas.

Shit like this just makes me despair.

I thought early voting turnout was supposed to be very high? Was that not accurate?

It was very high. Both sides get to engage in it.

Election day turnout also very high.

Ok. The reason I ask is because I’ve seen a few people hint at the weather driving down voting, but this seemed not reflective of voting. So that’s probably not a factor.

In what was supposed to be an easy GOP hold in the SC fifth, the Republican won by 3.2%.

So hey, maybe grazed the football as Lucy tugged it away!

I still kinda wish that “don’t fuck guys who vote Republican cuz they wanna destroy women’s Healthcare rights” sexual boycott had gotten off the ground…

But yeah, completely agreed. Half the country gave given into hate and spite, and it’s incumbent on the rest of us to drag them, kicking and screaming, into the light of modernity.

Ah well.

23rd straight House special election where the incumbent party held the seat.

There’s probably a reason for that.

It kind of makes you lose a bit of hope in the state of our Democracy. People are just going to vote their party no matter what, even if they use government services, rely on healthcare to survive, are on welfare, etc.

A Basket of Deplorables indeed.

The main problem I have is that the only real way to stop the republican party is by educating their kids not to be fucking idiots. Republican leaders know this though and have already taken steps.

Read the history of the district in MrGrumpy’s post. GOP support in this district is eroding in a major way. Democrats should not be despairing at this result in the slightest (though neither should they be getting complacent; you don’t win by losing.)

Next time maybe find a guy who lives there.

And then there are these people:
https://twitter.com/Michelle_RJones/status/877358759802273792

It’s not any less stupid when the other side does it.
She wont vote for a better candidate, so she gets the worse one by default.

It’s like saying you wont vote for ham on rye cause you don’t like rye bread. But your alternative is dog shit on white bread.
Guess you’re eating dogshit for a while.

My brain always parses this thread as 2017: Wither Democrats. Seems equally apt.

Honestly, in this district, the GOP voters were just voting with tribalism and greed, not necessarily against their interests.

The GOP voters there are educated, fairly rich folks. They won’t likely be harmed by an ACA repeal.

I mean they carried that district by over 23 points 7 months ago. Today they won by like 5.

In the best of conditions, running for a major elected office like the House or the Senate is an awful thing. Doing it when your party is considered to be such a complete non-factor in a district that the national party is happy to pull a seat holder out for a cabinet post is doubly tough. I’m sure it looks like an un-winnable task right from the outset. You’re going to give up an awful lot for a pretty thankless task.

Months ago, Jon Ossoff and Archie Parnell said “Fuck it” and decided to run despite all that stuff anyway. And both ran really close races and nearly won. Bitter recriminations and Monday-morning quarterbacking aside, I’m grateful that they took up the challenge to take this on. From reports around the country, others are also stepping up.

Yeah, the decision to use your vote as an act of personal expression rather than one of collective intent is one that continues to dog the Democrats, and not Republicans.

Nah, it totally did with Republicans. There were tons of Republicans on the far right who hated McCain and Romney because they were too moderate, or to Mormon, and cost to not bother voting.

Idiots are idiots.

Fucking idiots! Seriously.

When the FUCK will people stop letting the perfect be the enemy of the good? WHEN for fuck’s sake?

My example is flawed, because the dogshit sandwich is also on rye bread.