2017: Whither Democrats?

When you use sexist language to attack someone due to partisanship, that’s still sexist.

Maybe, but I think it’s different to use sexist language as a tool for a task derived from some other motivation, and an attack made purely due to sexism.

I suspect it’s a little like the handful of black Republican Congresspeople, who manage to avoid the typical sort of racist rhetoric lobbed around by the Right without shame, simply because they’re “proper” AfAms who’ve learned their place and support their cause. They’re still viewed as somewhat lesser, but useful, tools rather than people, necessarily. Hell, even the reasoning behind Palin’s selection by the McCain crew a few years back kinda stinks of that sort of thinking.

Not maybe. IS.

Pocahontas is pretty offensive and wouldn’t be used if she was a man. And since I don’t have a way to quantify it, I don’t know most are or aren’t sexist, but there are a lot of sexist remarks about them.

Well, it wouldn’t be used on a man because Pocahontas was a woman.

Regarding Pelosi… this is the kind of thing folks are talking about:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/06/22/im-worth-the-trouble-quite-frankly-a-defiant-nancy-pelosi-dismisses-her-critics/?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.da438a934ee9

Presumably Manlosi would have been dubbed Hiawatha. . .

Or Tonto.

I was saying not having claims of lack of charisma, not slurs.

You guys really think Trump even knows who those two are? You think every time some politician showed up he’d be trying to think of some Indian “Prince” name.

I mean come on, if someone calls a woman something like Cinderella, they’re being insulting and sexist. There isn’t really a male equivalent.

Tonto was a TV character, so he probably knows who he was.

I’m aware who Tonto is and that the last movie tanked badly. It’s not the same as calling someone Pocahontas anymore than calling someone Uncle Tom is the same as calling someone Lebron James.

Nesrie,

You do understand why Trump calls Warren a Native American princess specifically as opposed to any other “generic derogatory female” name, right?

edit: This is probably not a necessary edit, but I am not defending his decision to mock her for this. But he didn’t choose the angle of insult at random. It was a response to coverage of her heritage.

Yes I do know. Do you think he would do the same if she were a man? That’s the point. I don’t think he would. There really isn’t an equivalent to this made up fairy tale thing we have with Pocahontas.

I honestly don’t see it as a sexist insult, rather than a racist one.

Thirded. Thank you, Nesrie.

I know for a fact that he gives almost everyone he despises an insulting, belittling nickname. The inherent sexual implications of “Little Marco” (e.g., tiny dick Marco) certainly work best because he’s a man.

Don’t get me wrong. I assume one of several reasons he hates Warren is because she’s a woman. But i’m not sure if his choice of nickname is particularly representative of that fact.

But hey, attempting to fathom the Mind of Trump is often an exercise in futility.

The Indian Princess myth and visual is both sexist and racist. It’s been a terrible visual presentation in TV and movies and all sorts of media for years.

I can easily understand how Democrats can be conservative. But I cannot even begin to comprehend how a Republican can self-identify as liberal. Oh, wait! Maybe they mean neoliberal? I.e. cryptofascist? Now it makes sense…

Seconded.

Fat fingered Scooter-bound People of Walmart accidentally hitting the wrong button.