2017: Whither Democrats?

Dammit, Timex beat me to it.

Well giffed :)

Perhaps the fact that you can call to mind only two Congressional leaders with a smigen of charisma means that charisma is not necessary to be a Congressional leader? When I think of Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Tom Delay, Michael Steel, Dennis Hastert, et all I am not struck by their charisma. If anything, I am struck by their lack of charisma. (And the same holds true of Jim Wright, Tom Foley, or Daniel Inouye.)

Leaders in politics wear a lot of hats, so it’s not like charisma makes the job harder. But it seems weird to hear complaints about how Pellosi (or Hillary Clinton) have problems due to their age and lack of charisma when those same complaints can be leveled against everyone else who holds leadership roles.

Oh, I agree there seems to be something to that. However, I also look at Congressional (dis-)approval ratings and think there’s quite possibly a connection to be made, there. The electorate seems to be changing over time, and perhaps a sound-bite oriented cult of personality is precisely what they’re looking for in a leader these days. Not optimal in my mind, just a possible reality we’re facing.

I enjoyed that. Wish there was an easier way to show my appreciation without having to message you privately (which seems spamy and more difficult) and writing a whole post .

You know who would be fun to role play as? JOE Biden. I am sure his charisma would be high. I bet he also has above average dexterity. He’s probably make a pretty good bard or sorcerer.

+2 charisma when he strips off his shirt to wash his Trans Am on the White House driveway.

Happy to give a smile :)

LOL - well played

Yeah, this is Trump. He makes up a name for anyone who opposes him. Even male Republicans.

If Warren was a man he’d do the same. Tonto. Sitting Bull. He’d shit out something about it.

The princess part is a bit sexist.

To some extent, but it’s mostly about the name. Again, this is Trump, it’s what he does.
Lyin’ Ted, Little Marco, Low Energy Jeb, Crooked Hillary.
If anything it might say something that the best he could do against Warren was a racist angle instead of his usual personal attack on their character.

Unfortunate about his Wisdom dump stat though.

True, but he has probable has a folksy wisdom feat which allows him to substitute his charisma for all manner of skills and saves.

So multiclass into Paladin then. Seems legit.

I think there might be an alignment conflict, at least for third edition rules, but maybe he plays 5th edition.

Tulsi Gabbard, has lots of charisma. People have complained about her party loyalty, her strange support of Syria, but not about her charisma She is attractive, articulate, comes across well on tv, She had the courage to break with the DNC over Bernie, and the courage fits well with her background as an Army Major and combat veteran.

Heh, she’s 36. Palin was what in her 40s and no one complained about her charisma either. Do we have any, you know, older woman that might compare. We certainly let men like Mitch McConnell age to non-charisma status.

McConnell never had charisma

Or a chin.

He is truly the Senator most likely to be a featured cast member in the congressional version of the Wizard of Oz. Needs a chin, charisma, and a heart - what else?