2017: Whither Democrats?

1. Americans interning Japanese Americans was unquestionably wrong, and one of our most shameful acts

2. Yes, the Germans and Japanese brought it upon themselves when they had their cities destroyed, by trying to take over the world.

Are you really spouting “bothsidesisms” about the Allied forces and the Nazis?

Really?!?

Assholes who just drove a car through a crowd of people protesting them, killing one and injuring about 20 others.

These aren’t 4chan keyboard warriors calling me a cuck for voting D.

They’re Nazis.

There is a difference.

The Allies had the moral high ground and also committed unspeakable atrocities, and counted among their leaders one of the most evil individuals the species has ever seen. Life’s complicated that way.

Meanwhile, to the Dive debate, I would again say that arguing with Nazis is pretty much useless, so what one does about it depends largely on how many there are.

So … what? You want to punch the guy who drove a car into the group of people? Personally I’d lean more toward arrest and prosecution.

I’m a weak coward; I got in one fight in my life and lost badly. But I’m pretty fuckin’ okay with anyone else taking a whack at the guy. I’m also very okay with him being charged and prosecuted!

[Leftwing Nutjob Armando Screed Incoming] I’m not sure that many of the systems of power and authority in this country can be trusted for much longer to do a very good job of putting these kind of people behind bars where they belong. The number of racist cops policing our streets, outright racist politicians writing our laws, amoral corporations funding those lawmakers’ efforts, and hate-filled churches twisting their parishioners’ minds toward violence seems to be growing day by day and taking more and more power in America.

I have no idea what the solution is. I feel weak and powerless and angry and confused. We were supposed to be the [reasonably sort of in a relative sense compared to all nations ever and with lots of exceptions like those outlined above] good guys, man. But now we’re a country run by a racist president, with a racist congress, who are gonna stuff the courts and police departments and military with people who think like them, and suddenly, I dunno how much we can trust the systems of power here to stop guys like Murder-Driver McFuckstick.

Is it gonna be on all of us to literally stand up and fight them and violently take the country back from a political party built on hate and ignorance? I sure as fuck hope not because I’m not a fighter, but goddamn if it doesn’t feel that way more and more every single day.

I understand this. And I understand the desire to lash out. But it’s important to realize that these guys, these white supremacists, all the folks who voted Trump into office, they all feel exactly the same way. All this that you see, this violence and hatred. This is not the victory lap of a champion. This is the dying gasp of a way of life that can’t sustain itself. And it sucks like a motherfucker that one of the last spasms of this movement got this moron into power, but it wont last. I’m telling you, this will pass. Not by magic, or some invisible hand, but because all the people that are disgusted by all this, the majority of the country, is taking no action. There was an equal and opposite counter protest in Charlottesville. There are protests damn near every day. And it’s not letting up. On the contrary, Trump’s support is weakening. We will likely keep seeing stuff like this for a while. We will have to endure it, otherwise if we start swinging fists we might as well line up for our own brown shirts.

My grandpa said the same thing after we killed a few million of them and dropped two atom bombs on them seventy years ago, but oh look they’re still fucking here.

So the Axis powers won World War II? Why is this the first I’m hearing of it?

Killing nazis is a moral imperative.

Tell it to the courts.

Don’t take the law in your own hands, take them court. The People’s Court.

Nazis should be punched. Then the puncher should face the consequences. But the Nazi needs to be punched whenever he spouts his hate. That’s his price to pay, and it should be payed often.

Well I know what I’m getting all you guys for Christmas.

Your relentless sarcasm on this subject is pretty fucking tiresome.

Hiya, DiveDive.

Nobody in this thread is actually going to punch someone. This is communal venting, an expression of well deserved anger. It’s not a planning session for assault and battery. Consider it a metaphor for the fact that evil must be actively opposed.

Well that’s a load off my mind. Just so I’m straight, that bit where I’m a Nazi defender for suggesting that maybe punching folks (metaphorically, of course) is a bad idea, that was just venting too? I was thinking I was going to have to change my party affiliation so if you could save me a stamp that’d be awesome.

I’m not going to go to jail for it, but if it’s a case where I won’t?

I absolutely will punch a Nazi.

Go check out that picture in the other thread where they were beating assume black kid with sticks.

Tell me why it’s wrong to beat them.

Yeah no metaphor here. If you can watch Nazis just plow through a street full of protesters and say well they should have armed themselves with better sarcasm, not sure what to say here. Nazis are not an after the fact event. But don’t worry dive, when I meet Nazis in the street, I’m sure they’ll just kill me seeing how I don’t exactly fit their definition of an actual human.

Not if you punch 'em first!