2017: Whither Democrats?

We’re doomed

I would like to crawl under a rock now.

Holy shit.

Comstock is so fucking vulnerable in 2018, too.

And here’s a hint: bars are a great place to find her. Trust me on that. Have seen her yelling at a TV screen in one, at a politician giving a speech.

Yeugh.

Don’t despair just yet. Remember that the goal of advertising is to be noticed and remembered. This one has already succeeded in getting people to notice that Helmer is there. If he’s a strong enough candidate to overcome the bad singing then he might be on to something.

Geezus. GEEZUS. No. NO. God. Fuck. Man. No.

Yeah, I’m wondering why no one on his campaign staff said just that, after watching the video.

It’s worth noting that Dan Helmer is NOT the Democrat candidate for the VA 10th… at least not yet. There are (last time I counted) seven candidates that have officially declared themselves to be running, and at least three or five out in the wings. The primary isn’t until June 2018.

Having chatted with him a couple times, he’s a pretty strong contender: West Point grad, war veteran, businessman, good-looking family. That said, he’s not my favorite out of the crowd.

And say what you will about that video, it got him on the highest-rated nighttime show in the country.

So how many politicians have we ever had who could sing worth a damn?

Obama’s ‘Amazing Grace’ wasn’t bad.

So for instance, I am very bad at lifting weights, because I am a weak baby of a human.

So when I am trying to impress new people and showcase my obvious qualities to them, I generally don’t start pumping iron in front of them.

It might go viral, though. If you go viral, the world is yours!

I can’t understand how not one of all those people appearing in and making the commercial didn’t just yell “STOP! Stop! This is not happening…seriously, just NO.”

And later, around the campaign conference table, how do you watch that and still think “YES! This is EXACTLY what we were going for!”.

“Sir, we should reshoot this using a different…”

“I’m drunk, bitch! Send it out! Whoooooooo”

Vote how you want in the primary, just fall in line in the general. That’s the philosophy I have- though Hillary really made it hard at times last year.

Bob Corker, R TN, has had enough. Not running for re-election in 2018.

That’s a big retirement. Still leans heavily Republican, but I guess I’m saying is that there’s at least a Dumb and Dumber chance.

Already this year 14 House Republicans have announced plans to retire in advance of the 2018 midterms. Starting to look like a wave. Normally this indicates an opportunity for the other team. But who knows what normal is anymore?

Many of these retirees, like Charlie Dent of PA, are “centrists” so the Dems might get some pick ups, or the retirees will be replaced by more conservative Republicans who will add to the Freedom Caucus’ ranks next year.

I choose to be optimistic.

Are they all retiring because we’ll eventually find out Russian money funded the whole lot of them through the RNC? I mean, really.

Apparently it’s due to their own party infighting, but I wouldn’t put it past some of them bailing now to avoid being in the spotlight of any fallout.

We’re still below average. If it starts getting upwards of 30, it might make sense to call it a wave.

This graphic is out of date for 2018, but the historical data is there.

Yes, though it is early in the cycle. And if you count Dems the number of retirees is 24 in the house. Though many are seeking higher office. Which is why I said it is starting to look like a wave.

Here is an interesting article from 538.

“the most fundamental takeaway is still this: Retirements from a competitive state or district hurt the party the member belongs to. The reason is simple: incumbency advantage. It’s easier, for example, for a Democrat to win in a slightly red district in an open election than to take on a sitting House member. The more Republicans in competitive districts who retire heading into 2018, the more seats Democrats can realistically go after.”

Another early indicator is if the Dems can recruit more appealing, competitive candidates. If folks think a district is winnable, stronger candidates will put their hat in the ring.