2017: Whither Democrats?

As often happens, the Onion has done a good job of describing exactly what I fear is coming.

What’s interesting is that Sam started writing that article when polling on the race showed it at least within the margins…and then we got a very reputable poll drop on Thursday with a Northam double-digit lead.

I think Northam’s mistake early was to run on Virginia stuff. In the last two weeks he’s been running against Trump, even as Ed Gillespie’s embraced Trump. I think that’s a winning strategy for Northam.

It’ll probably still be too close for some, but I would be pretty stunned if Gillespie pulled off a win.

Feinstein is “all in”, apparently.

Not to be mean, but at age 84 I’m not sure you should even be planning for the weekend, let alone another 6-year term.

That’s not being mean, that is being practical. And I feel we should indeed have an age limit (term limits too, let’s dream big.)

This might be something. Definitely worth watching. Would be a tough hold for Republicans if she left.

That’s exciting!

gif

I’m sure whoever LePage picks to fill her seat will be exciting as well!

Her seat is up for re-election in 2018.

I don’t think that’s right? Her last re-election was 2014.

Ugh, that’s right. Enthusiasm tempered.

Would it depend on Maine’s law? If she must resign her senate seat to run, or prior to taking office, then Mr. A-hole would appoint the replacement. If she is merely prohibited from holding both offices, would she get to appoint her own replacement?

Here’s the relevant statute, I believe.

§391. UNITED STATES SENATORS

A vacancy in the office of United States Senator is governed by the following provisions. [1985, c.161, §6 (NEW).]

Interim appointment. Within a reasonable time after the vacancy occurs, the Governor shall appoint a qualified person to fill the vacancy until his successor is elected and qualified

Vacancy 60 days before primary. If the vacancy occurs 60 days or more before a regular primary election, nominees must be chosen at the primary and a successor elected for the remainder of the term at the general election

Vacancy less than 60 days before primary. If the vacancy occurs less than 60 days before a regular primary election, nominees must be chosen at the next regular primary following the one in question, and a successor elected for the remainder of the term at the general election.

Not a lawyer, so I could be misreading this, but it sounds like they’d have to hold a special election…maybe?

Eventually, but only after the interim appointment. The relevant question is: at what point (by Maine law) is one required to vacate the office of Senator?

If she became Governor, she would appoint her own replacement, right?

In AL, bigot grifter Moore is up 8 points.
And in other news, the hottest take:

Jesus Christ. If Mark Zuckerberg were our only hope for salvation, I might as well blow my brains out now.

Collins staying in the Senate and not running for governor in 2018.

Her seat could be a little bit of a tough hold in 2020, depending. Her staying put may not be the worst thing at the moment.

Heh.

As long as we’re stunt-casting the 2020 Democratic nominee, one name I’ve heard come up more than a couple of times now: Theo Epstein.

Hey, if Theo can get both the Red Sox and Cubs a World Series, if he wants to take a shot at the presidency, I’d at least be willing to what that might look like.

Maybe we should just run Walter Mondale again.

Oh, c’mon - get with the times; it’s Ferraro’s turn.