• Dawn of War 2 1v1
  • Tooth and Tail 1v1
  • Tooth and Tail 2v2
  • Offworld Trading Company 1v1
  • Offworld Trading Company 4P FFA
  • Napoleon: Total War 1v1

0 voters

Hi Everyone,

WIth the last round of our very first tournament wrapping up, it’s time to start thinking about the second tournament, and the game that will be played. Otagan and I (mostly @Otagan) put together a short list of games that we thought might be popular and might be both widely available and would work. A special thanks to @Sharpe and others for making suggestions and for helping us set up games.

As with the last tournament, we’ll try to keep it at a slow pace, though the number and variety of players will determine the rules and actual format. We’d like to set up the tournament for the end of February or early March, so people will have a bit more time to practice the games before it begins.

If the game you would like to play is not on display, please don’t despair. We’ll have several more tournaments this year and as tournaments are completed, we’ll consider games new in the future. Please don’t hesitate to make suggestions.

Anyway, please select and many or as few of the options as you might be comfortable with. We’ll use this as a basis to select the next game. Hopefully, one or two games will be the clear winners, making the selection pretty easy.

Keep in mind that the 2v2 options would require participants to be considerably more flexible with their schedules than 1v1 options (hence why they got broken out). Just tag anything you’d be willing to participate in if it was offered.

There will be nearly a month of advance notice for signups on this one, so that should hopefully help to allay some of the concerns of those who want a bit of time to practice or learn the game before the first round. I know that came up with Rise of Nations as a concern for a couple of new or rusty players who might have otherwise felt more comfortable participating.

Yeah, I can’t imagine 2v2 is going to work given everyone’s schedule. In theory, it’s a great idea to pair people into partners, but I doubt it would be practical.

-Tom

I didnt get to vote, but I’d pick CoH, AoE2, and Tooth and Tail 1v1

Why not vote?

I assume if we get enough people, we would try to set it up by region, and just have the winners face off. Admittedly, a big if and all fronts

It seems the votes are locked, for whatever reasons.

This is kind of out of left field, but what if we opened the playing field to the slowest of RTS games, that is to say turn based games? I feel like there are a ton of these games and they might fit the elderly QT3 demographic better. For example, a Solium Infernum tournament?

Oh, and I’d vote for Dawn of War 1, Dawn of War 2, and OTC FFA.

Okay, I am not sure what happened, but it is open again.

@Jason_McMaster and @RothdaTheTruculent, please try voting again.

The thing with that is there have been plentiful tournaments for turn-based things like Solium Infernum, Dominions, Twilight Struggle and so on. They are comparatively well-worn ground by comparison, so this is an effort to get members of the community together to try out a similar format with an otherwise neglected genre which just so happens to be perfect to play with a human rather than an AI.

Plus, I personally like that these are one-and-done matches and that I don’t have thoughts of whatever PBEM or asynchronous game I’m playing seeping into my every waking moment, but that’s my own problem.

Awesome! Done!

We are getting some hits! Let’s see how this turns out.

Ah, that makes sense. I hereby retract my suggestion.

As far as I know, the turn based games being played the most around here right now are Antihero, Chaos Reborn, and Dominions 5. I think there used to be a couple Solium Infernum games going, but it’s been a while and the last one kind of fizzled out.

The first RTS tournament has been a lot of fun. Looking forward to whatever game ends up being next!

It looks like we have a few more runners shaping up. I will leave this poll up until the end of week to see if there are any last minute surges.

Also, we are discussing possible format here.

Feel free to join us and have your voice heard.

Or if you have some ideas about the format, you can put them in this thread as well.

Well, it looks like Company of Heroes will be the next game on the list. There is a discussion going on about the format, but I currently it looks like many people consider the opposing forces factions to be broken. We might limit it to the basic starting factions.

In any event, the poll will be left open in case there is a last minute surges for some other game (I am looking at you 2v2 age of empires).

Very tempted to vote for Offworld 1v1 right now…