2018 2nd RTS Tournament

Okay, I am not sure what happened, but it is open again.

@Jason_McMaster and @RothdaTheTruculent, please try voting again.

The thing with that is there have been plentiful tournaments for turn-based things like Solium Infernum, Dominions, Twilight Struggle and so on. They are comparatively well-worn ground by comparison, so this is an effort to get members of the community together to try out a similar format with an otherwise neglected genre which just so happens to be perfect to play with a human rather than an AI.

Plus, I personally like that these are one-and-done matches and that I don’t have thoughts of whatever PBEM or asynchronous game I’m playing seeping into my every waking moment, but that’s my own problem.

Awesome! Done!

We are getting some hits! Let’s see how this turns out.

Ah, that makes sense. I hereby retract my suggestion.

As far as I know, the turn based games being played the most around here right now are Antihero, Chaos Reborn, and Dominions 5. I think there used to be a couple Solium Infernum games going, but it’s been a while and the last one kind of fizzled out.

The first RTS tournament has been a lot of fun. Looking forward to whatever game ends up being next!

It looks like we have a few more runners shaping up. I will leave this poll up until the end of week to see if there are any last minute surges.

Also, we are discussing possible format here.

Feel free to join us and have your voice heard.

Or if you have some ideas about the format, you can put them in this thread as well.

Well, it looks like Company of Heroes will be the next game on the list. There is a discussion going on about the format, but I currently it looks like many people consider the opposing forces factions to be broken. We might limit it to the basic starting factions.

In any event, the poll will be left open in case there is a last minute surges for some other game (I am looking at you 2v2 age of empires).

Very tempted to vote for Offworld 1v1 right now…

Just want to make it a three-way tie huh?
There are 8 individuals that didn’t vote for the top 4 picks, so it can still really move around a bit.

Do eeet! Offword is the only game I’ve played multiplayer in… I don’t know how many years. It’s also not every day you get a chance to be curb stomped by the games creator.

Or, this is a chance to try something new! Something exciting. Something like AoE 2?

We could also not do that.

Well, this is how you get four way ties!

I feel like someone should go to bat for Starcraft here.

It is true that Starcraft is a game that, at a high level, is very “twitchy,” and demands high APM to be competitive. I agree that a game like that goes against the spirit of the tournament.

BUT.

I’m assuming that most of us here are not high-level Starcraft players. Even though the “APM ceiling” is high, I don’t think most of us are near that level. As long as one of us isn’t a ringer, I think it would be more or less evenly matched.

Someone above mentioned that Starcraft 2 has a bunch of improvements that make it easier for anyone to play. I would actually argue in the other direction, that Starcraft 1 is clunky enough with its 12-unit selection and single-building selection that it might actually level the playing field even more.

I’ve said my piece, I’ll shut up about Starcraft from now on. Thanks!

Let’s see how this tournament goes.

I don’t think anyone who doesn’t have strong memories of Brood War is ready to go back to 12-unit selection limits, or Dragoon path finding. Putting all your units in a single control group and attack moving the enemy base is a valid attack strategy in Starcraft 2 (at least Wings of Liberty) and anyone can do that.

And we have a two way tie. We might do a run off (one vote only) on the top three on Saturday.