2018 Frame Game

Wait till you hear the name of the goddess of the Culdcepters: Culdra, which sounds like an offense, at least in my language.

Never heard of it. Was it released in NA?

Yes, only on the PS2, which was a pretty odd release, as the Dreamcast version had network play support, but the PS2 version stripped it away.
As a hotseat game, it requires all players to be very dedicated, since it’s first and foremost a deck building game.
Later there was an XBOX360 version released worldwide as well, although I never played that one.

Master Monk Creature FTW! ;)

What do you like about it?

I’ll have a new frame up today, hopefully!

It is one of those arrangements of Monopoly the Japanese have always been fond of, but this time they expanded it to crazy levels.
It’s got creature fights, RPG elements, deck building and even a dynamic economy at higher level of play.
First you got the obvious aspect of building a 50 cards deck, à la Magic. This is where the single player blooms, as it lets you unlock progressively all the cards (whether you win or lose; the game isn’t a jerk about the time you spend playing it). This slow progression lets you learn progressively, by heart, each of the 400-something cards, as memory is a semi-important aspect of the multiplayer — I will get back to it.
The collecting aspect is enhanced by each card having unique artwork (and quality ones at that) and description.
Once you have unlocked most of the cards, you can begin to think about building properly strategized decks. This is where the game reveal all its brillance. You can create decks around about any wacky idea. Beyond versatile or element-dedicated decks, you can go with cheap creatures, or a few god-like ones you’ll enhance with your spells, or even being jerk, cursing people around. Hell, my favourite deck is one consisting of capitalizing on the magic economy of the board and then destroying it.
That magic economy is an amazing idea, remiscent of Itadaki Street (I think a single game in the series was localized lately, under the name Fortune Street): you invest into parts of the board, and the elements which will grow there. Then the players’ actions on the board will modify those values. It is a very intricate game within the game, that can be used to make fortunes, but also to try to psychologically make an opponent less likely to upgrade a given part of the board. My description doesn’t do justice to the finesse of it.
When you play multiplayer, there is also the added part of semi-hidden info: you know what cards the other player holds, but during a fight, you got no way to guess if he is going to use any given special item he is holding or not. This leads to intense bluffing, and the psychological game is really hilarious.
Finally, the game is so generous with options: you can limit victory conditions as much as you want, make a mess of the board. For fun purpose, you can even create AI opponent that you fit with a particular deck and even allow them to cheat if you so choose!
For the Japanese-loving snob, it features Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack (and his sister is illustrating a bunch of the creatures, actually).

Since I first discovered the game on the Sega Saturn around 1997, I have always had a way to play the game next to me. The only other games that never left my side this way are Sid Meier’s Pirates and Armageddon Empires. I just played a quick 20 minutes game about two hours ago.

Dang, that sounds fascinating! Am I correct that if I don’t have a PS2, the only real way to play it in North America these days is on a 3DS?

New frame:

Forza Horizon 4?

I think there was an (online?) XBOX360 version, but I have no idea if you can play it on the XBONE.
Either 3DS versions are far from being the best versions in my experience: the unlock system in Culdcept Revolt was changed for some obnoxious “pack” buy, which turns was a breezy process into a quite annoying (at least in my experience) gimmick. The game doesn’t ask you to unlock only cards, but also features, by playing super grindy single player games.
If you can get past those annoyances, the game is still essentially the same (although I recall it being based on the first Culdcept, not Culdcept 2, which is Culdcept in the US.Darn it).

Wreckfest?

Driver San Francisco

GTA 5?

Good guesses so far. Let’s share some UI:

My Summer Car Project, or whatever it was called?

On that note, Car Mechanic Simulator?

Close enough! It’s My Summer Car.

The urine UI was next.

It’s yours, @Pod!

Dude, you need to drink more water.

Are you sure they aren’t the stats of the car? It does look quite clean.

I’ll post something after work tonight.

Sorry for the delay. Choosing a game is hard!

Image 770:

Commandos… 3?

Baldur’s Gate tutorial with circles zooming in like they did in Sim Golf or Sid Meier’s Gettysburg. So 90s!