2018 Google Pixel event - do we need a thread?

Common here. On mobiles too. Often in Chinese now in my case for some reason :/

We’re so very ready to upgrade our pair of EOL Nexus 5Xes, but Pixel 3 pricing is too damn high. If we could get the Fi rebate for the BOGO deal sure, but silly us we’re already Fi users so we don’t qualify.

Figure we’ll wait for Black Friday deals to show up, and if that takes us off Fi because whatever phone doesn’t work with it, so be it.

Probably 90% of spam here is PPI or accident claim related. They all seem to do the thing of waiting for you to pick up and say hello, then running an automated message. Whatever the tech is, it never sticks around long enough to leave a voicemail if you just dismiss the call.

Hmm Ars Technica reports weak first impressions; the Pixel 3 demo units, on display at the event, were scratched up by the time the event ended, and could be scratched by soft metal such as the usb cable. And the notch is ridiculous.

At the end of the day, the 3 xl is not a big enough upgrade over my 2 xl to be worth it for me, even with the trade in. I think I’ll be back for Pixel 4.

Slate pricing is kind of crazy. I assume they are trying to pretend chrome os is a real laptop. I could see myself getting one if was much cheaper than the real thing, but now it seems like a crappy iPad.

Me too, I’ll likely stick with it until it dies.

For crying out loud, Google. The new home hub doesn’t use the Android Things platform that Google developed specifically for this use case, and so that third party manufacturers could compete with Amazon. Because Google needed to undercut the price of their partner’s just-released products.

Honestly, I’m buying a Home Hub, and for $150, it’s already my go to for the grandparents this holiday. I prefer that it has no camera. With the Google Photos link, it is now the greatest digital picture frame ever. If I can easily toss my Google Photo albums to my parents, without the tedious chore aspect of typical digital frames, it’s well worth the price of admission. The Live Album feature, where Google Photos will automatically add recent pictures of specific people (ie my kids) and pick only good ones, to an album that I’ve shared w/ the parents makes it totally fire and forget for that purpose. Works w/ videos as well.

Adding the screen for recipes, videos, weather, etc, controlling multi-room audio for the other Home devices around the house. I can already flip my lights and talk to my Skybell w/ the audio only Google Home. When I walk past my son’s room and see he forgot to turn off his bedside lamp, I get to my room and ask Google to turn off the boy’s lamp, and it clicks off. This’ll be much simpler to visualize and control. So awesome.

Can’t see that going wrong in the most embarrassing way imaginable, no sir.

I kind of like the Lenovo solution which is a camera with a physical cover-switch. One of Google’s apps I read about is a check in to see what’s happening at home, sort of like a security camera. Cool feature, and the cover adds a second layer of privacy if and when meeded. Though for me the parents are on FaceTime so the video calling isn’t as important.

I’ve been pretty impressed with Google Photos. It is uncanny with recognition. As an example, if I search my library for kids it is pretty accurate at showing me pics of me with children (who aren’t mine, but are mostly my nieces and nephews.)

To your point though, there are also photos of my girlfriend and I dressed up for Halloween and other random crap in there.

Another example is that every month or so, Google Photos will ask me if I want to archive some of my library, and it picks out screenshots, memes and pictures of receipts, fastidiously, leaving actual pictures untouched.

I find it impressive too. Though it’s far from perfect. I just did a search for the town where I live, and it returned eight photos, none of which are where I live (apart from one of the interior of my flat). But regardless of quality I’m not giving any algorithm the ability to publish any content on my phone to a third party (let alone my parents) .

The biggest problem with Google Photos, is that people don’t manage their libraries to keep the sheer volume of mediocre pictures in check. I force myself to relentlessly delete all but the best, but my wife will have 30 pics in a row of the girls playing at the playground, 1-2 of which are actually good.

That doesn’t seem to be a problem with Google Photos in particular, but with people.

Fair enough! I have around 100GB of photos from before I adopted my stricter deletion practice. Want to help me sort them?

Sure! Just post em here.

Ok. Pic 1 of 33,000. Keep or toss?

New photo by Scott Johnston

I think you need to post them all so we can agree on the top 100 keepers…

Ok but I’ll have to sort them onto a hosting service first. Give me a few weeks, I’m sure I’ll get to it.

I totally understand and am in agreement w/ your point. However I’m so utterly boring, and my parents are generally so oblivious, that the odds of any social faux pas are diminishing. I’m also on the verge of 50 and frankly am losing my ability to get worked up about such things.

I also kinda trust Google Photos as it’s been generally awesome. Folly as that may be.