2018 Government Shutdown Thread

Nah, it’s called for.

It’s nicer than anything I’ve thought about a Trump voter in over a year. We should really be thankful to Timex for his restraint.

I mean, when someone rolls in and says “OMFGBBQ slobber slobber DemoCANTS just lost to the Trumpster again! Also Hail Himmler**” then sure. That’s fine. Tear 'em apart. Also generally hating on people who got us in this mess. Ok, I get it. But (odious, usually) dude just came in and said what most of us probably know, that Dems have no issue pushing back ACA taxes indefinitely because the goal was covering as much of America as possible, not making a revenue neutral bill. Mainly because it’s the right thing to do. So what? What did he say that was so bad? Can we please separate content from character every now and then?

I think the only problem I have is the link-dropping and then taking off. That usually indicates a poorly thought out argument but it’s not really that bad all on its own.

** but you know, actually nazi/racist shit

EDIT:You are right. Upon further reflection, he is not worth it. I removed references to him, and merely left here the explanation of why the Twitter hot take is mindless. This is really made for your benefit, to answer why it is bad.

That “hot take” on the GOP removing taxes that were designed to help pay for the ACA is straight up bullshit, as anyone with a brain can see.

“Hey man, why didn’t the Democrats keep the government shut down to prevent the Republicans from making a budgetary move that increases the deficit?”

Because… Why would they?

Those taxes getting delayed doesn’t actually do anything to the ACA… at all. It’s not specifically funded by those things.

Their removal merely hurts the overall fiscal picture of the government. And while that’s bad, for you know, actual fiscal conservatives… it isn’t like those taxes were things anyone on the Democrat side LIKED. They weren’t fucking FEATURES. They were just intended to help pay for things, as we’ll as implement other const control measures in the case of the Cadillac tax by creating negative incentive to have stupidly overpriced plans.

Here’s is Cornyn’s official email:

The Democrat Shutdown is Over

This afternoon, the Senate voted to reopen the government after a shutdown that lasted nearly three days. I am heartened to see my Democrat colleagues come to their senses so that Congress can now get back to work on tackling the big challenges facing Texans and the nation.

The American people did not deserve to be held hostage over an unrelated immigration issue, and I’m relieved that we were able to fund our government, military, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program.

Click here to watch the remarks I made today on the Senate floor.

I am committed to the promise I’ve made to finding a solution for the nearly 800,000 individuals here under the previous Administration’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, 124,000 of whom live in Texas. Working with the President, I look forward to reaching a bipartisan compromise that also addresses border security needs and other reforms he has requested.

Huh, I didn’t read into it like you did but looking at it again I think you are right and that message was the author’s intent.

In which case it’s pretty dumb because pretty much zero Dems care about it and he’s just trying to score points with his base, I guess?

And that would mean our poster here is posting it as sort of a gotcha thing which would also be silly because none of the audience here is going to take it that way.

Fair enough. I tend to think such taxes like the medical device and cadillac plan taxes were simply added to game the CBO score and never actually intended to be implemented, but maybe indeed that is just my own cynicism blinding me. No need to make it personal.

Whoops, you lost me here.

I’d imagine stuff like that is done all the time. Doesn’t make it right, of course. Just one more reason our debt is out of control.

This whole shutdown seems terrible for Democrats to me. Those of us who tend to agree with them are fine with it, of course. But anyone leaning even a little bit to the right is going to eat up the “Democrats shut down the government for the sake of illegal immigrants” line, largely because it’s technically true. And I don’t mean just Trump’s base, but also the moderates that Democrats need to be courting.

The Republicans were going to get a whole lot of public pressure over DACA in the next 6-8 weeks as the Trump-imposed deadline approached anyway, so getting a promise that they’ll consider it is basically nothing (even if you believe the promise will be kept).

If I were calling the shots, I’d have held out for CHIP coverage as part of the continuing resolution. Maybe some other stuff, too - I’m not entirely sure what all the options are. But the DACA narrative should have been kept separate…this time. There’s more continuing resolution votes to come, and one closer to the March 5 deadline would be a much better battleground.

But a 6 year extension of CHIP was included… And they got a commitment to vote on DACA in 3 weeks.

And they expended virtually zero political capital. The government shutting down over the weekend has no real impact on anyone. But they are slightly better positioned for the fight in 3 weeks.

OK, I’m glad I’m not the only person who read that post and thought “But…they got more than you would’ve gotten with your ‘If I were calling the shots’ scenario, including a 6-year deal on CHIP as part of the now signed, sealed, and delivered 3-week CR extension…”

My mistake, bad wording. My intent was to say that I agreed with using the shutdown to get CHIP funding. And that maybe there could have been some other things rolled in instead of DACA that would have been less controversial.

We’ll see if that’s true. Yes, the shutdown didn’t have much real impact since it was so short. But I don’t think the Republicans have owned it the way the Democrats expected. There’s plenty of media coverage of the “Democrats shut down the government for the sake of illegal immigrants” line, which again is a true (though incomplete) statement. I think there’s going to be a lot of moderate voters thinking along the lines of “both sides are terrible” instead of “Republicans are so much worse than I realized”, and that’s not great news for Democrats.

Anybody who blindly buys the line that democrats shut down the government over illegal immigrants, when the WH rejected a bipartisan immigration deal last week, is an idiot

Did you see 2016?

We’ve established that most everyone is an idiot and we need to plan accordingly.

On my morning news carousel (flipping back and forth on channels) this is being framed as the Democrats either “losing” the standoff due to being spineless or finally “coming to their senses” on putting the US over illegals. No one is even talking about CHIP.

Frankly, I don’t see how this isn’t a loss for Dems. They blinked and now they have a few weeks to essentially give Trump his wall or get the blame for deporting Dreamers because they were unable to negotiate. And let’s face it, either scenario is a win for the GOP. If we get news scenes of tearful Dreamers being bused off to who-knows-where, the GOP base will secretly celebrate while tut-tutting over how the Dems failed them all.

I’m really doubtful Dreamers will get a path to citizenship out of this. I think the best they get is another extension to kick the can down the road.

Hence the apparent failure (hopefully only temporary) of the marketplace of ideas.

I mean, of course it’s a loss for Dems. Dems don’t control any part of government. Winning was never in the cards. The real question is, what kind of a loss was it (and yes it was worse than it needed to be, because the Dems never successfully messaged that CHIP was important and that the GOP were scum for using it as a hostage.)

But the idea that Dems could “win” this somehow needs to die. The only way Dems can win anything is by taking back Congress.

This is frankly the best that could ever be expected anyway, given the shots are being called by Ryan, McConnell, and Miller.

Anyone who thinks the dems shut down the government isn’t going to be swayed by facts anyway. Glad they got CHIP and the 3 week DACA concession. When you have so little power, you are happy with what you can get. November is 9 months away.