2018 Government Shutdown Thread

Well, at this point it forces the GOP to actually stand up against it. Up until now, they’ve done this mealy mouthed bullshit where they say, “We really want to help the dreamers” while doing nothing.

Now they’ll have to vote on it, and Ryan will have to refuse to vote on it after the Senate passes it (I suspect it will pass in the Senate). It will play badly for them.

Agreed.

It’ll be cold comfort to the Dreamers, but if/when the House refuses to vote on this and they start getting deported, the Democrats will have a VAST amount of material to hammer the GOP with in November.

“Here’s Jose, a seven-year veteran of the [Local town] Fire Brigade who was brought to the US as a three-year-old… thanks to Donald Trump and Representative Local Republican, he is scheduled to be deported in May.”

“Here is Josephine, who registered as a Dreamer because she wanted to serve the only country she has ever known. After serving a tour in Afghanistan, she will be discharged and deported in April… thanks to Donald Trump and Representative Local Republican.”

Another reason that Schumer made the 3-week deal: keep Joe Manchin from handing a Senate seat to Republicans. Apparently the conservative Democratic senator from West Viriginia – who is up for re-election and will likely win in 2018 – strongly hinted that if the shutdown continued, he’d retire. That would’ve been a disaster for the Democrats, and erased any dim hopes they might have of retaking the Senate majority in November.

My cynical self says there will be a vote on a DACA bill but it’ll be loaded with stuff like $20 billion for a wall and making DACA recipients wear clown shoes or something ridiculous like that. Then when the Democrats don’t vote for it because they object to the crap that’s been added, McConnell will say “I kept my promise but the Democrats didn’t vote for it,” and will move on.

Someone tell me how that won’t happen.

Dreamers can stay in America™, the new branded Trump hotel located in beautiful Guantanamo Bay for the low low price of $1000 non-negotiable per day! Anyone who can’t afford it will be sent to work as a sex slave to the administration.

Also we’re officially banning science.

McConnell calls a vote in 10 minutes. Good luck!

lol also in the news, the GOP has verified that the infamous conspirator Cole Ew Shen cannot be found in any federal registry after months of exhaustive searching. Russia’s cooperation in this joint search was greatly appreciated by the Trump family and friends.

That is probably pretty close to how it will go down. Or Republicans will simply pull the dick move and vote against a DACA bill as a block, then say “Hey, we promised a vote, we didn’t say it would pass!”.

On the other hand, the Dems could get a DACA bill through if they agreed to allow the GOP to attach funding for “The Wall” to it, then held their nose and voted to pass it. DACA folks would be saved, and the Dems could then spend the next 18 months hammering the GOP in the media for funding Trump’s wall with American taxpayer money instead of “Making Mexico Pay For It”, and illustrate exactly how that wall money will come from cuts to services Americans need and depend on. The Wall is not nearly as popular as Trump thinks it is, and allowing him to actually begin to deliver on that campaign promise could be more detrimental to his administration and the GOP as anything they’ve done to date.

Of course, that scenario requires the Democrats to actually get out a strong and unified message in the media, something they don’t seem to be able to accomplish despite the current political climate being very, very receptive to such a message.

Yep. The House won’t piss of their base to help “illegal (brown!) immigrants.” That will further cement the GOP as the “mostly older white people party.” I see that as a political advantage for Dems.

Of course, it’s also a tragedy for hundreds of thousands of Dreamers, their families and our economy. So, in this case, I hope the GOP stands up to their anti-immigrant base. But I doubt they will.

Looks like I’ve got tomorrow as an unplanned vacation day!

Thanks, Rand Paul!

Fricking Democrats obstructing again!!

Blow up the deficit for tax cuts? No problem! Provide actual services to citizens? Oh noes, the deficit!

Some shitbag senator was talking about how he voted for the tax cuts because Americans working hard with their hands just don’t deserve to have 50% of their wages taken away.

Your daily reminder that everyone who voted a Republican into office is a piece of shit.

Here’s an amazing stat for you: right now the economy is perking along and we’re closing in on the theoretical floor to unemployment…and if this budget passes, it’ll be a bigger infusion of funds as a stimulus than the Obama stimulus in February of 2009 just after taking office, when the country and economy were teetering on the brink in the worst financial collapse since the Great Depression.

Really? I hadn’t realized that. And he was excoriated for it, iirc.

Republicans gonna Republican. I think I’ve made this comparison before but you just can’t be too surprised when your new puppy shits all over the floor.

Yeah, he had NO problems with adding $1.5 trillion to the deficit when it was tax cuts.

The chaos caused by constantly shutting down the government and starting it again plays directly into Republicans’ hands. Like shaking a clock until it breaks and flies apart. These people don’t rely on much of what the government does in their day-to-day lives, so to them it doesn’t matter.

If things like the postal service or social security checks stopped flowing when the government shut down, you’d see people get out the torches and march in the streets. But by carefully letting some (most?) of the public-facing stuff continue, people get the impression that the parts of the government that are shut down aren’t that important - which is, I’m sure, the point.