2018 Government Shutdown Thread

Is “government shutdown” just a budgetary thing that can be done only once a year? Or can they shutdown the government at any time? If the latter, I would expect them to try again (and again and again) since they were successful.

That’s fair, but seems like the GOP will try to force funding for the wall in exchange. And if the dems won’t vote for that, they will spin it as dems not really caring about the dreamers after all.

@YakAttack this is all about there not being a budget. The government needs money to run. They keep making these resolutions kicking the can down the road instead of doing a proper budget, that’s why the threat of shutdown keeps coming back

I mean to be fair, everyone who’s vote should have been counted in the first place did vote for Clinton. It’s just that 70.7 million people voted otherwise (I’m coming around to lumping in 2016’s 3rd party voters as “shitty humans who we should really strip suffrage from going forward just in case” line of thinking).

The issue you run into with the whole “Democrats just gotta wait till the control the US with an iron vice-grip and can do as they please” is that ~25 states in our nation will reliably vote R over and over again because their imaginary skyfriend tells them babies are dying and gay people are humping. Even one-offs like the AL Senate race and a one-time Blue Wave don’t change the demographics of these states, and sure enough, 2 or 4 years later, the pendulum swings back and Republicans do everything in their power to wreck any progress made and impede the capacity to create more going forward.

So, you know, the solution is to just ignore people who vote R for 30 years or so until we finally unfuck all of their various messes :P

We could split up California, and force Wyoming to merge with another real state.

And and force the Dakota’s back together as well. No one needs two of them. No one!

This isn’t really true though… A lot of folks just stayed home and didn’t vote.

Part of it is because idiot pollsters created that narrative that Clinton was virtually guaranteed to win… but part of it was just laziness and grumpiness about her not being Bernie.

It’s been a costly lesson to learn, but that’s how it works. If you didn’t want Trump, and you didn’t vote… well, you get what you get.

The thing is, if you seriously foster this idea that the only response for the Dems is to just shut everything down… then the GOP will just do the same thing. Everyone will always do it, forever, because it’ll be “the thing you do.”

When you’re in the minority, you don’t get what you want. That’s why elections matter. The best you can hope for is to get some minor concessions, and accept them grudgingly.

Elections that result in Republican control maybe shouldn’t matter :)

Check out Trump’s announcement here:
https://twitter.com/PavlovicToday/status/955540387334156288

It’s like something written by a child. In the official whitehouse statement.

True, but what’s the excuse after they reach 18? The law is about forgiving adults, not children. Moreover, if you marry someone living underground because they are here illegally you must have the expectation it will catch up to them someday.

So, self deportation is your solution?

Shit man, you are a cold human being

I mean, in the abstract, sure. But presumably deporting DACA folks isn’t the GOP’s top priority. There are things they would take instead, if forced. And they’re on record as wanting DACA! But they’re not being forced to give up any of their actual top priorities to end the shutdown or to deport the DACA folks, if they so choose. And, in fact, they got their second top (arguably top) priority, massive corporate tax cuts. And they gutted the ACA, their top priority, in the process.

I’m not saying the Dems should have kept holding out indefinitely until a DACA provision was included and voted on in the CR. But I don’t understand the tactics of going to a shutdown and then stopping for a meaningless “concession” for a vote in one chamber, assuming that’s even honoured. To the extent that they used up political capital in forcing the shutdown, it was wasted.

Seriously. So, @Guap is saying these kids should turn themselves into DHS the day they turn 18, in order to be sent back to a country they don’t know with a language they possibly don’t even speak, because of something their parents did to them when they were too young to consent or participate in the decision making?

Wow. That is pretty damned uncharitable, ungenerous, and unkind.

That’s kind of all they can get. I mean, seriously, they can’t make the House do anything.

I mean, let’s flip this around… So, let’s say the GOP doesn’t budge on this stuff… what exactly was the exit plan?

That’s the reality. They couldn’t just keep the government shut down. That’s not really an option.

So they put up a good fight and let it be known that this is actually a real thing that needs to be dealt with. The GOP can’t just keep saying they care about Dreamers and then never allow anything to be voted on… which is what they’ve been doing thus far.

And then they re-opened government, because that’s the only course of action which is reasonable. It doesn’t benefit anyone to have the government shut down.

In order for the Democrats to win in a situation where they are in the minority, they absolutely must preserve the view that they are the reasonable adults. If they lose that, then they won’t get anything, ever.

Could they appeal to their own government for assistance?

Why not? They can (in principle) get the same commitment from Ryan that they did from McConnell. Or rather, get him to commit to a vote on the Senate bill.

If it’s not an option, they shouldn’t have gone to a shutdown in the first place.

The governments of countries like Guatemala are too busy drowning in graft and violent crime to worry about helping out some sunny-eyed Millennials in the US. Unless the Dreamers would be interested in importing some grade-A cocaine, that is. . .

I’m sorry. It’s not often that I find a reprehensible sentiment here in P&R from someone I generally think is okay, but @Guap’s self-deportation advice for Dreamers sucks something fierce. Disappointing, really.

So much content. So very post.

Not that it matters, but personally I think the Dems did a good thing here. This is just improving their position for the same fight, looks like.

Yeah. And three weeks is a short time, and if the GOP goes back on their agreement the Dems can put up a bigger fight.

I should have said, “They shouldn’t expect to win every time. Maybe next time they will have better luck.”