2018 Government Shutdown Thread

Why would he do that? The house and the senate are totally different bodies.

I think that it served its purpose, without causing any real damage to anything.

Yeah, this is how I see it too. They put up a fight, but still acted like responsible adults… and the fight is not over.

To avoid a prolonged government shutdown and/or to get whatever else Schumer was willing and able to deliver in the Senate. Just because they’re different bodies doesn’t mean they can’t talk to each other, or that one doesn’t have something to offer the other. Especially in a context where it’s quite important for both chambers to vote on the same bill.

I don’t understand this hatred. If you are going to be angry at someone, be angry at the parents that broke the law. They screwed over their children, plain and simple. Where is the vitrol for them? This is a complicated issue but blaming the people upholding the law is not the answer. As I said, and those throwing sand my way ignored, I support DACA. It’s just not a priority ahead of many other problems America faces, and not worth damaging the side fighting against Trump. You all are playing right into his hands.

And there are obviously alternatives to going back to your origin country and rentering. We have a robust court system and one of the highest per capita lawyers in the world. To say these people have no alternatives and no agency at all treats them like children.

Nah, there’s no chance you were gonna get anything from Ryan here.

In this case, Ryan passed his shit. He was not gonna get involved in the negotiations any more, as it would have only risked him suffering politically.

As it stood, he passed his stuff, and he could wash his hands of it.

He can’t wash his hands of it any more than Trump can wash his hands of having ended DACA by telling Congress to fix it. The House can pass whatever it wants but it’s meaningless unless it can also pass the Senate. And vice versa.

I am a naturalized citizen of US, where my immigration documents were all straight-forward, and my visa status was always valid, and even I wouldn’t want to take on DHS (formerly INS) in a procedural legal battle. A smooth procedure at DHS means that once you submit a form, you are in a queue going back 8-10 years with multiple checks and balances along the way. This is also why this whole talk about chain migration or visa lottery bothers me, because most of the people don’t really understand the painful and decade long steps involved. Many probably believe an Oprah like “you can be a citizen”, “you can be a citizen” immigration grants handed out by DHS.

In fact I am surprised how someone whose wife immigrated from Mexico, can talk about taking DHS to court in such a trivial way.

I don’t want to be angry at anyone. I want the problem fixed, and fortunately the fix is pretty straightforward.

Also, pointing out that someone else’s suffering is partly of their own doing is not helpful. Yes, we know that the car accident victim could have taken the bus, the heart attack victim could have exercised more, and hurricane victims could have moved to Chicago. Just because a problem was theoretically avoidable doesn’t mean it’s not a problem.

As for whether it should be a priority: The pre-Katrina population of New Orleans was about 500,000. The number of people at risk of being deported by failure to act on DACA is 800,000. So if you thought that helping the people of New Orleans was a priority in 2005, then fixing DACA should be a priority now.

There is a super easy solution to this problem. Don’t cross the border illegally and force yourself and your descendents to avoid the law and be on the run their whole lives. It’s very, very simple. It forces everyone to live off the grid, be barely employable in anything but a labor position, be deceptive their whole lives, be paid under the table, worry about every interaction with the authorities… the list goes on and on. I mean, you can’t even reliably call the police to help you because you are scared of being caught. You can’t get public assistance for health care so are likely to be more sick. What kind of a life is that?

We have a family member that committed some minor offense when he was a kid and then ran from the law instead of taking responsibility. This dude is in his 60s now and screwed over everyone and every relationship he’s ever been in because he had to live off the grid. It’s a terrible sentence to give your kids when it’s not their fault. I wholly blame the parents for the mess their now adult kids are in. Irresponsible.

If it were a minor offense, the statute of limitations should have been up way before he turned 60.

The only offenses with no statute of limitations are things like murder or rape.

“Hey, I’m 22 and in college and my parents brought me to America when I was 4 when they entered the country illegally.”

Easy solution. Drop out of school, move to a country you don’t know and may not speak the language, and things will be great. Super easy!

Be mad at your parents, not the government.

That’s a terrible solution. It’s the equivalent of “never drive a car” to solve road rage, and “don’t live on the east coast” to avoid hurricane damage.

It’s not that hard to come up with a better solution. In fact, a better solution was already in place until quite recently.

Is that also your heartless message to the children in Puerto Rico?

There’s an even easier solution. Since we know people aren’t likely to ever stop crossing the border, we could stop considering their kids who’ve been settled here since birth “illegal”. Then the problem really is solved.

Jesus, you have such a blazingly stupid and dick-headed take. Even Malathor would’ve given it up by now.

Is it impossible to “be mad at the parents” and still want to help the kids that are here? I’m not giving the parents a pass. The minors that came with their parents are the issue. They’re here now.

Yeah, I don’t understand why the solution to a problem stops at whom to blame.

You mean, “since childhood”. Anyone born in the US is a US citizen automatically. At least, at this time.

Nothing says “I’ve given this issue a great deal of thought” any more than a suggesting a super easy solution that involves time travel.

Sorry @Guap, I want to engage with you on this topic, but your starting position seems so divorced from anything I am familiar with, that K can’t.

I am a natural born citizen, so I will never have to deal with the stress these young people are going through, but it’s important to me that anyone that is raised in the US and loves our country gets a shot in the US.

And this is coming from someone who is trying to convince her wife to leave this shitty country and move to the Netherlands (since I am a dual citizen).

I am super lucky though. I have not one, but two homelands, both in developed nation’s, and did little or nothing to earn that right except to be born to the right people.