2019 Oscars thread of Buzz and Snubs

Here go our predictions, prognostications, anger and joy.

The Nominations:

Best picture
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”
“Vice”

Best actress in a leading role
Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma”
Glenn Close, “The Wife”
Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”
Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”
Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Best actor in a leading role
Christian Bale, “Vice”
Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”
Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”
Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book”

Best director
Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”
Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite”
Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”
Adam McKay, “Vice”
Pawel Pawlikowski “Cold War”

Actress in a supporting role
Amy Adams, “Vice”
Marina de Tavira, “Roma”
Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk”
Emma Stone, “The Favourite”
Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite”

Actor in a supporting role
Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”
Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”
Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”
Richard E. Grant “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
Sam Rockwell, “Vice”

Best animated feature film
“Incredibles 2”
“Isle of Dogs”
“Mirai”
“Ralph Breaks the Internet”
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”

Best original screenplay
“The Favourite,” Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara
“First Reformed,” Paul Schrader
“Green Book,” Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie and Peter Farrelly
“Roma,” Alfonso Cuarón
“Vice,” Adam McKay

Best adapted screenplay
“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
“BlacKkKlansman,” Spike Lee, Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott
“Can You Ever Forgive Me?,” Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Barry Jenkins
“A Star Is Born,” Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper and Will Fetters

Best original song
“All The Stars,” “Black Panther”
“I’ll Fight,” “RBG”
“The Place Where Lost Things Go,” “Mary Poppins Returns”
“Shallow,” “A Star Is Born”
“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings,” “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”

Sophie deserves and oscar

I love that after all their strong arm tactics, Disney just gets a Black Panther Best Picture nomination with just about zero chance of winning.

The Oscars are always arbitrary and dumb. I knew that at the height of my interest a few years ago when I was only a movie or two short of seeing every nomination for a couple years in a row.

But my interest has been waning. I still look forward to the spectacle of the ceremony itself—it’s entertainment and I wouldn’t miss the viewing party with my friends for anything.

But I’ve barely seen any of this years nominations, and looking at the list doesn’t make me want to fix that. I’m much more interested in a bunch of stuff from the Qt3 year end podcast.

As I said though, the Oscars are arbitrary and dumb. So I can’t say for sure whether this was a weak year for movies, or if the Oscars just made even worse picks than usual, because I’m mostly out of the loop.

tl;dr - Excited for Black Panther and Into the Spider-verse, and if they win I will definitely pretend the Oscars matter for a few weeks

Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever been less in tune with a set of Oscar nominations before. There were so many great films I saw this year, one of the strongest groups in recent memory in my opinion, yet outside of The Favourite, they were pretty much all completely ignored.

I do need to watch Roma still, though.

I think this is my worst year for Oscar nom familiarity: the only thing I’ve seen is Black Panther, and the only other one I might consider seeing is Spider-Man.

I mean mind you my worst before now was probably like two films out of all nominees, but still!

I’ve seen Roma and A Star is Born. No contest which of those deserves everything it’s nominated for against the other.

That said, there are no women nominated alone in any of those spots except for the Actress categories. It’s 2019. Fuck Hollywood.

Time to rectify this immediately!

Don’t leave us hanging!

I was really hoping Debra Granik’s Leave No Trace and Lynne Ramsay’s You Were Never Really Here would have gotten some love. I guess the titles were taken a little too literally.

Ah. Roma, without doubt. A Star is Born is competent, but melodramatic. The principles do competent acting in unchallenging roles (Gaga is better than Bradley.) It’s a high profile film, but not an especially great one.

I concur. I liked A Star is Born just fine, but Roma was an amazingly personal movie backed with great performances and masterful directing.

So, not gonna lie, but a few hardcore comic nerds’ constant babbling about Spidergwen this and Pigman that for the last few years as I guess the whole multiversal Spiderpeople “meme” played out in Marvel’s fandom (akin to the “zomg so random!!!11 fourth wall chalupa violence!” Deadpool schtick, or reddit’s bacon infatuation, as I’ve bitched about elsewhere on here recently) really wore on my nerves. It was this weird mixture of twee hyperexcitement, overly repetitive and unclever nerd-references-as-poor-substitute-for-humor, and constant multimedia bombardment of the concept that just really kinda ground me down.

Anyway, I get that’s totally a me-problem, or–at worst–a “my sometimes-obnoxious-but-still-lovable-friends” problem, but it really soured me on the core concept of the film from the get go. The initial trailers didn’t really perk my interest; it seemed too well-targeted for hyperactive preteens to really hold my interest.

And then everyone whose media opinions I actually trust told me repeatedly to go watch it, and they had to really carve their way through quite the mental block on my part to convince me. Now I just need to find time before it’s gone from all the local theaters. . .

Ahh interesting - it probably helped that I had no clue about the movie before heading in. In fact, I thought it would be a compilation of a few completely separate spider stories all lumped into one. I can see how you’d feel if bombarded with all the hype ahead of time. Still doesn’t change it’s a great movie and fully deserving of winning the animated category this year!

I’m pretty sure Isle of Dogs has that on lock.

The original post, for some reason left out the more important categories (to me):

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

“Capernaum”
“Cold War”
“Never Look Away”
“Roma”
“Shoplifters”

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT)

“Black Sheep”
“End Game”
“Lifeboat”
“A Night at the Garden”
“Period. End of Sentence.”

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

“Free Solo”
“Hale County This Morning, This Evening”
“Minding the Gap”
“Of Fathers and Sons”
“RBG”

PRODUCTION DESIGN

“Black Panther”
“The Favourite”
“First Man”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“Roma”

CINEMATOGRAPHY

“Cold War”
“The Favourite”
“Never Look Away”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”

COSTUME DESIGN

“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs”
“Black Panther”
“The Favourite”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“Mary Queen of Scots”

SOUND EDITING

“A Quiet Place”
“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”

SOUND MIXING

“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

“Animal Behaviour”
“Bao”
“Late Afternoon”
“One Small Step”
“Weekends”

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM

“Detainment”
“Fauve”
“Marguerite”
“Mother”
“Skin”

ORIGINAL SCORE

“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“If Beale Street Could Talk”
“Isle of Dogs”
“Mary Poppins Returns”

VISUAL EFFECTS

“Avengers: Infinity War”
“Christopher Robin”
“First Man”
“Ready Player One”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”

FILM EDITING

“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“Green Book”
“The Favourite”
“Vice”

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

“Border”
“Mary Queen of Scots”
“Vice”

My own observations about the nominations:

Wow, what the heck is Cold War? Best Cinematography nomination, best foreign film, best director. That sounds like it’s worth checking out.

This is a good reminder that I really need to check out BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite, Green Book, Roma, Can You Ever Forgive Me, If Beale Street Could Talk and The Star is Born. I’ve got a feeling that I’ll hate “Vice”, just because it will make a comedy out of such a serious subject and it will rub me the wrong way.

Also, Willem Dafoe nominated for At Eternity’s Gate? That sounds like a science fiction name? I’ve never heard of it.

I haven’t seen any of the animated feature film nominees this year, so now I have 5 movies to check out there.

I can’t believe they nominated that horrible song from The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Is that really the song from the first story in the anthology? That was so bad. Music is always subjective.

Visual effects: I thought the visual effects in Avengers was way better than the other two nominees I saw in that category (Ready Player One and Solo). I haven’t seen First Man or Christopher Robin yet.

Makeup: I haven’t seen any of these three movies. I’ve never heard of Border.

Sound Mixing: Bohemian Rhapsody had amazing sound mixing. The combined what the actors were singing with Freddie Mercury’s voice, so what you were hearing was mostly Freddie, but a little bit of the actors. They really did an amazing job.

Costume Design: I feel like Black Panther deserves major kudos here. They came up with some really imaginative costumes that looked futuristic while still looking traditional African.

Cinematography: Never Look Away? What is that?

I’m not seeing a Sophie in any of the nominees. I’m probably just missing something. What are you referring to?

Heh. He plays Van Gogh. I haven’t seen it. It was at the art house theaters here. I doubt it got a wide release.

Sophie is Olivia “Nominated for Best Actress In A Leading Role in ‘The Favourite’” Colman’s character in Peep Show.

Oh man, do yourself a favor and watch peep show.