2020 Frame Game - Come Join the Fun This Year!

I initially saw that I had won while I was still in bed, so I didn’t peck out a proper reply. I did have trouble trying to decide between the different Elemental games (E:WoM, E:FE, and Sorcerer King), because their look is so similar. I recognized the engine and unique art style immediately, because I’ve always been fond of it and it stands out for me. And even though I couldn’t place a specific unit or terrain tile, I just figured I’d start at the beginning and move forward if need be.

Although I put a ton of time (way more than I should have, but I was trying to extract value from money spent) into Elemental, and much later a few dozen hours into Sorcerer King, I never did play the game/series as it was meant to be played–in the various iterations of Fallen Enchantress. I do own the FE titles, but by the time I had my hands on them I was neck deep in CiV V and later Age of Wonders 3. I’ve been meaning to go back and give it a shot. But now I’m Planetfalling my eyes out, so…

The cat hides the fact that this might just be… Monkey Island?

No monkeys here.

“You recall your military upbringing, and that this cat is your sworn enemy! Air support may be an option if things get out of hand.”

I don’t think I’ve ever played anything like that. From the Attack and Defend commands, it implies turn-based.

“Under the relentless assault of the cat’s steely gaze, your morale withers. Retreat, an option that would not have crossed your mind a mere PNG ago, seems inevitable. Could soothing music placate the cat and bring an amicable end to hisstilities?”

I’m probably going too far back, Pat, but I’d like to solve the puzzle!

Can I please see: Legionnaire!? (by Avalon Hill)

Nope!

“The cat wavers as long awaited reinforcements become available. Patrols are sent to round up other malcatents. The tables are turning and the once expression of smug satisfaction now appears to bear the slightest hint of surprise. This conflict is drawing to a close, and a strategic exit presents itself.”

I like how this is the reverse of most of the games in the frame game. Most people hide interface elements because that will give away the game. But fox is rightly so confident about the obscurity of the game, that he can give away all the interface elements and still not give away the game.

Ground Pounders!

“The cat now feels increasingly boxed in. This was, pawhaps, a bad idea.”

For fear I may have gone too abstract on a game that is obviously more obscure than I thought, I’ll sprinkle some additional hints below to save us all, and especially the cat, any further embarrassment. I don’t think the final reveal will do much if you don’t recognise it already.

1. About this screenshot specifically: The game has two ‘main’ screens. This is the strategic view. The tactical view perhaps would’ve been easier to recognise.
  2. About the gameplay: It can certainly be said that this shares a common ancestor with Darwinia, the game that won me this spot.
  3. About the platform(s): Released on DOS & Amiga in '94. This is the PC version and the Amiga one looked a tad different (probably better).

Uhhhh … Cannon Fodder?

No, that would be the common ancestor. ;)

Dammit. Unless you’re saying it’s CF2. Which I doubt.

Nah, I wouldn’t withhold victory on a mere technicality. I’ll post the answer in the next 20-30mins rather than let this theatre drag out overnight.

So, this was the classic and very well known (in my house, at least) Theatre of Death, a Psygnosis-published game inspired by the aforementioned Cannon Fodder in much the same manner that a fake rolex is inspired by a real rolex.

The possibly more recognisable tactical view:

theatre-of-death

In fairness, it did try to do some interesting things and even sent you to the moon as a finale, though Cannon Fodder 2 would outdo it in terms of batshit a few months later. Those of an especially morbid curiosity can play it right here.

I think I continue since I wonlost this round? Take it away, cat!

(Unless a fellow connoisseur of UI elements guesses this one in the next 10 minutes, you will, alas, need to wait awhile before I can respond).

@fox.ferro you might want to slow down with the updates anyway. I think it’s more fun if more people get a chance to make guesses. I try to do no more than a couple screens a day, unless maybe there’s a flurry of guesses. Or people are too stumped to even make a guess.

I do congratulate you on inventing Cat Mode for the frame game!!

Oh! I meant to guess. I’m going to pull one out of my butt and say Close Combat. The first one.

@fox.ferro I would like to commend you on both your excellent choice of gameframeguesserstumper, but also your most entertaining combination of cat and catty hints. Bravo!

The game is perhaps Commandoes?

Ok, will update this one a bit less often. It is less obscure, after all. No winners yet.

I hope you continue using cat verbiage. Malcatents, haha, I’m still lolling.

I am easily amused.