- Phasmophobia - Generally I stay away from multi-player games with an occasional exception for co-op. Phasmo has become my default “hang out with friends and family” game in the last few months of 2020 and I really believe it has helped with my pandemic-fatigue. Virtually hanging out with my sister and a good friend of mine several times a week and hunting ghosts has been a great experience. The game itself keeps itself interesting, is still adding more maps, and is astonishingly developed by a single person. I look forward to this game continuing to grow and add more content.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator - I grew up flying in small aircraft frequently as my dad was a pilot. He passed away 5 years ago and Flight Simulator has really been a great experience of both nostalgia and has inspired me to take real Flight school lessons when COVID is over and kind of follow in my dad’s footsteps. The game also convinced me to spend way too much on a Honeycomb yoke & throttle panel. Haven’t tried out VR yet, but am excited to do so.
- Hades - Only started playing in earnest lately, but really enjoying my time with it on Switch. Cross play since I picked it up on EGS originally is a plus.
- Astro’s Playroom - What a pure joy to play. I expected this to be a neat looking tech demo of the PS5, but it’s that and more. Platforming is extremely well done and I hope they release more games in this series. Still trying to collect all of the trophies.
- Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout - Similar to Phasmo, this has been a great spur of the moment play with friends especially in a pandemic year. Great gameplay and they keep mixing it up with more levels and remixes of existing levels.
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps - I loved the first Ori game and am really enjoying this as well. I haven’t finished yet, but it is an improvement of the first Ori in just about every way.
- Ghosts of Tsushima - This would probably be in my top 3 but I’ve only just started.
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla - Ditto. Not real far yet, but liking it a lot. Glad they reintroduced some AC meta lore back in to the story.
- Cyberpunk 2077 - I really am enjoying my time with this game, but I can’t in good conscience put it in a top 5 until they work out more of the issues.
Games I thought for sure would be on my list but aren’t:
Spelunky 2 - I have a love/hate relationship with this game. I’m glad it’s Spelunky and has more stuff, I hate that it was designed almost exclusively for top tier players. I’m good at Spelunky HD, but I was never someone who could do a speed run or a no gold run. Spelunky 2 is just frustrating enough that I don’t want to keep playing it much beyond the daily run.