2020 Quarterlies! Vote for Qt3's Best Game of 2020: "Ok, let's get down to it, boppers!"

It was very difficult ordering the first three, while the fourth was locked in.

1. Hades
    Not much more to be said on this but I’ve spent a long time wondering where to place this! While it’s a damn near perfect game, a personal issue later on was me being ahead of Zagreus’ understanding of what was going on so it took a good four full runs for him to ‘catch up’ and actually progress the plot, which was pretty damn tedious. Zag man, I love you, but come on.

2. Doom Eternal
    One of my favourite things about Doom (2016) was the Doomguy’s utter indifference to the particulars of the plot. The early interactions with Samuel Hayden were hilarious and exactly what this gamer wanted from Doom. I didn’t play Doom for the story and, to id’s credit, I got to inhabitat a virtual rage golem who didn’t much care for it either. Doom (2016) could only fend the story off for so long before hell’s gates breached and Doomguy had to play along. Doom Eternal, however, takes the gates down entirely and replaces it with a chute, lobbing story, lore and even third-person cutscenes at you. There’s the odd flash of irreverence from Doomguy but, for the most part, he gets on the chute. Welcome to the Doom Cinematic Universe. So while the whole thing seems to be leaning much harder into the Doom mythos, it’s also bigger, louder, faster and sillier. I knew the game meant business when you start with the shotgun. Pffftstol. Eternal is also bloated with progression systems, currencies, collectibles, unlocks and always-on online profile cosmetic bollocks. Doomguy even has his own mancave. (The toys are very cute though.) It’s surprising then that this is still one of my favourite games of the year by the sheer strength of the moment-to-moment play. The tightened core gameplay loop is just such a thrill and coupled with the more diverse environments and enemies, the beefier weapons and a similarly rock solid soundtrack, I just couldn’t help but fall in love with it.

3. Wide Ocean Big Jacket
    I knew next to nothing going into this but it was so… real and down to earth. And despite how short it is, it’s got such vividly drawn characters and numerous memorable moments too. More like this, please.

4. Atomicrops
    On the surface Atomicrops looks like a frantic twin-stick shooter and friendly farming sim, but if you dig a little deeper you’ll realise that it’s more of a breakneck RTS roguelike where you’re balancing economy with firepower. It’s tough but rewarding with one of the best intros/trailers and soundtracks of the year and I dare say no other game had such mighty puns either. Parsniper rifle? Pea shooter? Gourds that block bullets? Selling your crops for cashews?

5. Phoenix Point
    Given how long this has entertained me for so late on in the year, and how it addressed most of my issues with Firaxis’ XCOM, I think Phoenix Point has to go here. The more deterministic free-aiming, the VATS-like limb and weapon disabling, the action and will points systems, hybrid classes, overwatch cones, faction raiding and trading, mutating terrors from the deep and a more simulated, crunchier, weirder and harder science fiction post-apoc world all made this a lot more appealing to me. I’ve not finished it yet, and I wonder how much longer there is to go, but it’s been a really pleasant surprise for me.

• Creaks
    I think this could be my favourite Amanita game. It’s a more traditional and rules-based puzzler, so gone is the exploratory pointing and clicking of pretty much everything else they’ve done before. It looks and sounds beautiful, as expected, but the puzzling was clever, elegant and satisfying too.

• In Other Waters
    Beautifully presented and evocative underwater xenobiology game where you explore and uncover the mysteries of an alien planet. One of my favourite stories of the year.

• Tenderfoot Tactics
    Relatively unknown, weird and wonderful minimalist open world exploration and elemental turn-based tactics. Thread with more impressions here, but I loved it.

• Risk of Rain 2
    Played a lot in Early Access but this is one of the best translations from a 2D to 3D game. Great with friends too.

• Tanknarok
    One of my favourite pick-up-and-play arena combat games that even features online multiplayer. Super slick, solid and snappy. Looks, sounds and feels great.

• Journey to the Savage Planet
    The closest I’ve come to a new Metroid Prime but a lot less serious with a wacky and irreverent sense of humour. Funny comfort food.

• Townscaper
    The chillest builder, by one of the developers behind the excellent Bad North.

• Huntdown
    A very slick and stylish retro 2D run-and-gun game. Great fun co-op and home to one of the funniest bosses I’ve encountered.