2020 Quarterlies! Vote for Qt3's Best Game of 2020: "Ok, let's get down to it, boppers!"

1. Hades - and not even close. Has this game solved rogue-likes? Whoever wants to top this has to come up with something really cool. The game that keeps on giving. Great moment-to-moment gameplay. Such variation each run. Excellent persistent layer - upgrading the house is so fun, both crunchy and cosmetic upgrades. I think @tomchick nailed it by calling attention to the pacing in his not-review. Perfect soundtrack - I look forward to the music cue every time I enter the Lernie fight. Excellent voice acting. Fantastic art direction. End-screens that make me laugh out loud. My only gripe is the performance issues on the Switch that I blame for ending some runs that are close to my skill ceiling.

2. Imperial Struggle - I was expecting it to be more similar to Twilight Struggle, but I am so glad it isn’t. Interesting interacting systems, and since we’ve not played it a lot yet it doesn’t feel as constrained as Twilight Struggle (not yet, at least). I need to get this on the table again soon.

3. Factorio - this feels like cheating, though, as it is has been some time since I played it. I appreciate the process of setting up processes, automating and scaling up. A great multiplayer experience. All in all it is a bit too clinical when it comes to narrative, which is why I don’t play it single player.

4. Spirit Island: Jagged Earth - more of what makes Spirit Island so fun. More stuff, interesting sprits. Not much more to add.

5. Cyberpunk 2077 - Well. It probably deserves a dishonorable mention, but despite all the glaring flaws I’ve enjoyed my time with it. I’ve parked it until it’s had some patches. My experience is quite similar to Fallout: New Vegas, although Cyberpunk hasn’t eaten my save yet. And it is not in the same league as F:NV. Here’s hoping for the Enhanced Edition. The game has excellent atmosphere, for sure. In some ways it reminds me of reading Ready Player Once or Scalzi; it feels more like a checklist of references than something that contributes interesting new takes on its genre. I wish it had been better, but what the hell. Even as deeply flawed as it is it deserves a point. OK, two points.

Honorable mentions:

Amazing Cultivation Simulator - which I have not really played enough to be sure if it deserves a place here, but it is truly a quite distinct experience. I would probably never have played it if I didn’t get it as a gift, but I am glad a friend put it on my radar.

18Chesapeake. It might be the new definitive go-to-game to show people the basic elements of 18XX-games. However, like a friend stated so well: “But why show people those elements, when the game has none of the interesting elements that makes us like the other 18XX-games you have?”

Stellaris: Federations - adds a lot to my favorite Sci-Fi Soap Opera Generator. I am probably Playing It Wrong™ since I mainly just boot it up every now and then to generate a space empire and explore the galaxy while looking for anomalies I haven’t seen yet.

Among Us: Finally people can experience an element of what makes Battlestar Galactica: The Qt3 Forum Game so good. But as I’ve played it on PC, I can’t get myself to put it on my main list. Also, I spent my cognitive dissonance budget putting Factorio on my list.

Dishonorable mentions:
Goodhood. Really, Abbey Games? I can’t believe I let you captain the riverboat in that dream I had.