2020 Quarterlies! Vote for Qt3's Best Game of 2020: "Ok, let's get down to it, boppers!"

Huh, well today I learnt what vocal fry is!

Cheers mate.

Meg’s actor definitely has a little fry going on in her voice, but for the game she cranked it up to fuckin’ 12.

The only person I’ve wanted to hear who I’ve been nearly unable to listen to due to vocal properties is chef John. He ends every part of every sentence like he’s asking a question. I can see how something could drive you nuts, it’s just funny when you can’t even hear it to listen to people going nuts. Like incredibly high pitched noises with my kids.

By her telling, it’s more about stripping away the “sing-songy” bits of her natural voice. You can call it an “affectation” (I might just call it “acting”) but it fits the tone of the role. I don’t blame anyone who just doesn’t like the sound of it–seems like it’s similar to abhoring the crunching of snow or eating of a popsicle–I just have a mild objection to saying it’s bad acting or bad casting.

The first time I heard it I was like, “is this lady coming on to me?” Or Zagreus, I mean. People don’t usually get that breathy unless they’re turned on. But I guess she does carry a whip around everywhere…

11 posts were split to a new topic: Is it sexist if you find vocal fry annoying?

If the last content for a game came out in 2020 can it be included?

re: Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock

I don’t know what you mean by content. If it’s a separate DLC, ok.

Game released 2017, final content for it was 2020, the point at which I played it. I was guessing it wouldn’t count, but wanted to ask just the same because I loved it.

Looks like it was various DLC under the header of “Season Two”.

https://store.steampowered.com/dlc/544610/Battlestar_Galactica_Deadlock/

@easytarget, I’m thinking you could vote for Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Season 2.

I actually find it’s fine. The indicator lights are in the cockpit anyway, and you quickly learn where all the switches and levers are on the Honeycomb. I occasionally have to peek for orientation, but I just look down through the nose gap on my VR goggles. (My HP G2 has a nose gap naturally because of the 3D printed faceplate I’m using; on my old Rift S, I removed the rubber from the nose area to open it up a bit more like the older Rift models.)

1. Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Season 2

2. Wingspan

3. Spiritfarer

4. Tenderfoot Tactics

5. Crusader Kings III

Oh shit, I didn’t even think about this because, yeah.

Updating

Yeah, it’s why I went to the trouble to verify I could include it, more fun than I have in awhile.

Oh! I didn’t expect to see it on anyone’s list; amazing!

Well thank you for reminding me to put my #1 game of the year on the list.

Since I played all the season 2 campaigns it definitely fits.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is it sexist if you find vocal fry annoying?

I wish I had the time to type up more. This has been the year of old games become new for me.

1. Persona 4 Golden (PC) - It’s not fair for every other game ever that this saw a rerelease. Finally freed from the Vita and released on PC this summer, and the perfect game for being locked down. Having a set schedule to hang out with my fake high school friends was a comfort during times of isolation. It’s a sign of how much I enjoyed the story that I was ready to dive right into NG+ after nearly 100 hours on the first playthrough. As a note, Persona 5 Royal might have cracked the top 5 but I didn’t get to it - though I’d still give P4G the edge based on my experience of Persona 5 vanilla through two palaces.
  2. Streets of Rage 4 - Cautious optimism surrounded this release. A rebirth of a popular series after so long away: would they remember what worked or try to modernize it and lose the spirit of the franchise? Also, Dotemu was behind it and they’ve had a very hit or miss track record. Happy to say they nailed it here.
  3. Bugsnax - BUNGERBUNGERBUNGERBUNGER
  4. Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate - Another game that was stranded on Vita (and DS) finally rescued and brought to PC and Switch years later. Top tier Mystery Dungeon series.
  5. Microsoft Flight Simulator - Would this have been such a hit in any other year? Probably not. Sometimes it’s all about timing (see: Animal Crossing). That’s not to take anything away from the sense of wonder MSFS can provide.

I’ll just throw an evil list:

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising
    I have only been able to play a few hours so far, but the more the dramatic progresses, the more I’m in love with the characterization. The game is filled with so many lovely details that echoes to my own expectations, and I won’t mention any as to not spoil them. Lovely game. Thank you again for the pointer, Roberto and Tom.
  2. Hyrule Warriors: The Age of Calamity
    It’s a fun brawling distraction. And it’s a 2020 pure title, yay!

Follows cheating entries, so I ranked them down:

1. Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate
    This having been my GOTY of 2015 or something, here goes! The Switch version is glorious now that it doesn’t destroy saves.
  2. One Finger Death Punch 2
    Released this year on the Switch, and it’s probably the best joycon game.
  3. Streets of Rogue
    Released on the Switch this year. Just a shameless plug to bug @Chappers the busy man.

My game of the year was Obra Dinn, but I’m one year late sadly.

Kicked out:
Synthetik: Ultimate: randomly crashes at the end of levels. No news of a patch. Ew.
Jets’n’Guns Gold 2: crashes during a later level on the Switch. Sniff.

Edit: Sorry @arrendek! Damn, both of those games titles are awful

Can you please fix your #2? The number formatting seems wrong and can you please please please fix the title? Thanks

Edit: Thanks!