2022 Game Frame Game - All Skill Levels Welcome!

Curious Expedition?

Jalecoā€™s Royal Conquest?

Deus Ex?

Apologies for the delay. Nope to those.

Owlboy?

Some Ishar game?

I was going to say Colorado earlier. Thereā€™s a Simarils vibe to the pixel artā€¦ Maybe itā€™s the bushes or the extremely tan UI. Or maybe I have French developers on the brain from the box art threadā€¦ But this looks like a fantasy RPG. So Iā€™m going to look at a list of Simarils games and pick the most fantasy sounding one!

Ishar 3: The Seven Gates to Infinity!

ADDENDUM:

WHAT HOW

haha, we know our classical pixel artists XD

Hrm. I am somewhat conflicted. I canā€™t just say, ā€œNo, this isnā€™t an Ishar game,ā€ because technically it is part of that series. But it was first, and doesnā€™t carry the name. The game is Crystals of Arborea.

@Left_Empty gets it, but I canā€™t argue with @Nightgauntā€™s reasoning. And it appears if he hadnā€™t included that reasoning, he probably would have posted first. Iā€™m a fan of hearing peopleā€™s thought process for their guesses. So in this case, if @Left_Empty doesnā€™t want to take the turn or is busy, @Nightgaunt should definitely take it.

Haha, amazing!

I agree-- @Left_Empty should go next, since they seemed to know the actual games. I just had vibes about the developer.

Did you play Crystals of Arborea back in the day, Kyosho? Is it worth playing?

Nah, got it on GOG a while back in their Ishar Compilation. Iā€™ve been restoring an IBM PS/1 2121 recently (mostly proprietary PC from 1990) and redownloading GOG games that will run on it. Though, not through their launcher/DOSbox, obviously. Itā€™s a short game and in some ways a bit basic, but itā€™s pretty and has a weird party system where you can split your people up on the map. Your main character is the only one that really matters (if he dies, game over). So itā€™s usually best to send other party members off to scout for locations. I think it is somewhat randomly generated (where locations end up being on the map). Worth trying, if youā€™re curious. Can be beaten in one sitting, if that sitting is a long-ish one.

@Left_Empty Poke! Youā€™re up.

Woah, thanks for the poke, my mind had deleted the outcome!

Never heard of Crystals of Arborea, although it was probably named differently in France. It kept that true to style ā€œcharacters must face forwardā€ politics from Frecnh devs, and the convoluted interface buttons as well!

frame 1

What an inspiring snap!

frame 2

Final Fantasy VIII?

Nope.
Given itā€™s not well known, Iā€™ll add it was released for free.

frame 3

How can you have a tractor on top of the sky? I guess the tractor must be part of the interface.

What kind of game has a tractor as part of the interface? Some kind of farming simulator maybe? Iā€™m stumped.

Yeah, I keep coming back to look at these frames, but Iā€™ve got absolutely no clue what Iā€™m looking at. Some sort of subscreen from a strategy game or 4X, is all I can figure.

Itā€™s the main screen of the game, and itā€™s only got this single screen.

frame 4

frame 5