2021 Quarterlies! Vote for Qt3’s Best Game of 2021: “All these worlds are yours. Except Europa. Attempt no landing there.”

I haven’t been following the votes, but knowing Qt3, Boyfriend Dungeon
will probably win first place.

Agreed. The thing at QT3 is that nobody got opinions and we all share the same taste.
Damn, @rhamorim, you caught me in the act of sarcasm!

Looking over the lists from this thread again, it looks to me like @Razgon is the closest at representing the Qt3 hivemind. From now on, when I have questions about the hivemind’s opinion, I shall ask him.

Hence his avatar!

@Strollen i think you have a stray colon there.

A terrible affliction. Thoughts and prayers, get well soon.

With seconds to go I’ve finally played a video game from 2021! Cats in time. I’m sure it’ll win and the rest of you all put it in your top spot.

I also managed to play some boardgames from 2021 (mostly thanks to boardgamearena): Canopy, Canvas, 7 Wonders: Architects, Happy City, Nanga Parbat, Stella: Dixit.

I managed to buy a lot of TTRPG books/pdfs that were released in 2021, but somehow I don’t think they count as I never played any of them. The closest I get is DELVE from Dec 2020 :(

Are any of them actually worth putting into some kind of “top 5 list”? Well, maybe. Just about. So we therefore have:

1. 7 Wonders: Architects

I thought this would be awful, but I was pleasantly surprised. I’m not sure why it was themed as 7 wonders, other than for marketing purposes, as it’s a much better fit for the Between Two Cities series of games.

2. Cats in Time

I thought this would be awful, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is cute, and is an actual video game first released in 2021.

You have to rescue a bunch of cute ginger cats, all of whom are locked behind hidden-object-game meets escape-room style puzzles set in Captain Toad’s Treasure Tracker style rotating diorama maps. Plus the music is funky and constant. It’s a bit mobile-porty, but you get used to it.

It’s from the people who made Escape Simulator. Another 2021 release that I own but have yet to play!

3. Stella: Dixit

I thought this would be awful, but I was pleasantly surprised. A much tenser, more competitive, more fake-out mindready version of Dixit.

Hmm, so am I right in thinking I’m just out of date on 4x games? I’ve been really enjoying GalCiv 3, the interface improved so much from Civ4, my last effort, that after a few aborted games I started understanding a solid 70% of the things. (Yay, I beat GalCiv 3 on Normal! Look at me!)

The following games were voted on each by only a single person, total, who picked it as their #1 game for 2021!

7 Wonders: Architects
Control Ultimate Edition
Demon Roots
Eastward
Gods Will Fall
Oath
Overboard
World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Classic

Edit: Ninja’ed by the next post, so Control Ultimate Edition can come off this list now. :)

1. Monster Hunter Rise
  2. Control Ultimate Edition
  3. Back 4 Blood
  4. Metroid Dread
  5. Returnal

Relayer. Do I win?

Howe did you know?

Under the wire!

1. Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
    The writing is great, and it’s just a lot of fun. Tons of fun details for comics fans in the game. Looks and plays fantastic on the Series X.

2. Demeo
    Folks who say there haven’t been any great new games for VR haven’t played Demeo yet. Fun and original.

3. Old World
    I haven’t played a lot of this yet, but so far this is the first Civ-like 4X that’s grabbed me since Civ IV and AC. So much depth, but a great UX that keeps that from being overwhelming.

4. Remnants of the Precursors
    Plenty said uptopic. Amazing fun and a flashback to why its inspiration was such a superb game.

5. Mass Effect Legendary Edition
    Kinda hate to nominate this over original titles from smaller devs, but c’mon, I loved the original trilogy so much and it’s fun to see it updated for newer hardware.

I’d have given Hades a vote, too, because I played the new Xbox version but it got plenty of recognition last year.

Ran the script again and updated the alphabetical list of games and voter list in the second post of this thread. Feel free to verify that your votes were counted by finding yourself in the list. Alpha list is for error checking that no one’s silly game spelling/subtitle choice has split the vote across multiple game titles.

Looking good for a winner’s post this weekend by @Brooski.

And you still have a couple hours yet if you want to sneak your vote in or still want to edit your votes above.

Like 2 of the prior 4 years (2017-2020), this year the winner has fewer first place votes than the second place game. :) Shenanigans!

Hey, if you do edit your post, please make a quick post down here to let us know so that we make sure to rerun the results. I need to head to bed so I’ll be doing the final run in the morning, unless I don’t need to.

I have a few minutes to play and finish The Longing and Midnight Protocol!

Voting is now closed. The winner is here.