2021 Quarterlies! Vote for Qt3’s Best Game of 2021: “All these worlds are yours. Except Europa. Attempt no landing there.”

I’m surprised at the lack of votes for Quake. The Remaster is really good! And in my opinion much better than most retro-shooters. I still have to decide where I’m going to put it in my top 5 though.

I don’t have anything to add, as I don’t think I’ve played (and liked) anything that came out (except the House Flipper expansion) but I wanted to say thanks to everyone that’s been adding descriptions - I have added so many games to my wishlist.

The poor triple-A industry is taking a licking here at QT3! Frankly, I’m shocked… … … (not even a tiny bit and I love it).

Sadly/fortunately/ambivalently/appositively, I will prop up the big production teams with a couple of games from last year that I found worth their salt.

1. Nioh 2
    I have never had an experience playing a game that was more enjoyable than my over 600 hours with Nioh 2. Its combat is my favorite of all time and its progression systems, the transition from new game to new game+(and ++ and etc.), its loot system and build system are all…well… some of my favorite of all time. I played it exclusively for all those hours. I am very sad to have had to let it go. I hope there is more gaming in my future that comes close. Might just be the love of my gaming life.
  2. Diablo 2 Resurrected
    Damn. They made D2 right. And the reboot is very very nice.
  3. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
    So much fun! I interrupted it to play Nioh, but will come back to it.

Playing Outriders now, but everything else I played this year is older. I very rarely play games on release any more.

I had better vote before I forget.

1. Trials of Fire
    I hear the complaints about the brown landscape. To that I say, “yeah, man. I hear you.” But the really smart tactical combat, cool difficulty, excellent AI and neat deckbuilding offset this a lot. HIGHLY recommended.

2. Gloomhaven
    I hear the complaints about it being really hard at the beginning. To that I say, “G1T GuD.”

3. Old World
    This belongs on the list even though I haven’t given it as much time as it deserves.

4. Mundaun
    I kinda liked it.

5. Highfleet
    This is the best bad game I’ve ever played. Maybe I should just play a good SHMUP?

I don’t know that I played a lot of other 2021 games. I tried Steamworld Dig 2 and really like it, but that’s old. I tried Outriders and yecchhh. I tried Souls III and bounced off the first boss but maybe I’ll try again. I played a lot of Slay the Spire and am Ascension 20 on pretty much all the dudes. Guess I need to finish the cheevos. I just installed 12 is Better Than 6 and also BlazBlue Continuum Shift.

I really like Trials of Fire but I feel like I must still be missing something with the deck building, considering the praise it gets. I mean, to me it looks like “replace attack card with slightly better attack card, replace move card with move + small bonus card” and that’s… it. There doesn’t seem to be much space for interesting combinations or, well, interesting anything - it all seems to be basic moves, attacks, and maybe the occasional buff that’s too expensive to get off anyway.

I’d seriously like to understand where the deck building praise is coming from here, because I certainly want to like it more than I do.

About time you played the game you voted for in 2018!

The deckbuilding is more between characters than within a single character’s deck. I haven’t played for a while, but as I recall, the ability to immobilize with one character and then area fire with another was a cool combo that you had to specifically build toward. But I agree that you don’t get the crazy effect-on-effect game-breaking (and fully intended to be game-breaking) combos the way you do in, say, Slay the Spire.

Each character has a couple of different ways to build them plus the comboing within your party plus the variety of weapons. There is almost always a choice what direction you’d like your better to go and a continuation of smart mechanics in recent games that make deck size interesting rather than a lean deck always being the way to go.

Eh? Isn’t deck size locked?

I did??

Pretty sure you can upgrade cards instead of taking new ones, which makes deck size vary.

When you take a new one you have to replace an old one, unless I’ve missed something huge.

I can’t find references of it, although I’m certain you have been talking about it for years!
This is a conspiracy!

You may be right—I haven’t played in months. But I seem to recall being able to choose a new card or upgrade something. Maybe I’m misremembering.

Your base character deck is locked in size but that’s hardly your whole deck composition. Specifically, higher tier items always come with more cards and oftentimes not all cards you may want.

Stop making me intrigued about a deckbuilding game. I’m Dave, and I’ve stopped deckbuilding for nearly a year now.

RIght, duh, it’s been awhile since I played. That’s true, the equipment cards are (generally) more interesting than the “character decks.”