2021 Quarterlies! Vote for Qt3’s Best Game of 2021: “All these worlds are yours. Except Europa. Attempt no landing there.”

@arrendek Quake and Quake Enhanced are the same game.

*Fixed

1. Inscryption

This was just a great time. I loved the atmosphere particularly in the beginning. There’s not much I can say without spoiling things. One thing about the gameplay in the beginning I really loved was the card customization and strategizing over which map route to take. I felt like those choices made each run great.

1. Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy

I got this at Christmas and haven’t played a whole lot but what I have has been fantastic. I find myself sitting there with a big grin plastered across my face. The banter is amazing.

1. Shin Megami Tensei V

SMT on the big screen again. What more can I say. I totally didn’t expect to get this so soon but the big price drops around black Friday sucked me in. I’ve not played much because I’m currently getting my SMT fix in Devil Survivor Overclocked on the 3DS and don’t want to get distracted by the new shiny. The little I played though made it hard to resist jumping in with both feet. I also kind of want to play through the SM3 Nocturne remake first too otherwise I might not want to go back after V.

1. Mass Effect Legendary Edition

I played through ME1 for the first time after aborted attempts on the 360 and PC. I enjoyed it but parts were a slog. I kind of forced my way through but it could have been a lot shorter if I didn’t scan and explore the shit out of every planet I could. That kind of grind usually turns me off but for some reason I couldn’t make myself stop. it was a long playthrough all quests completed. Once finished I started ME2 and wow is it a huge upgrade. I usually get burned out after that much of something so I’m taking a break but I’ll get back to ME2 and eventually 3.

1. Forza Horizon 5

Pure comfort food. I was hooked for about 3 weeks after it came out. So pretty and plays awesome. I’m not much of a gearhead though and don’t know crap about cars. I just like slapping on a pretty skin and driving fast and this allowed for lots of that. I pretty much unlocked all the festival stuff and just had their last races left to do but it was like a switched flipped and I had enough racing. I’m sure I’ll drop back in again but I think the initial addiction has mellowed.

I just remembered Gloomhaven , It could very well be up on that list too.

Ha, confirmed, I’m a late bloomer. It took my 40s to get there.

It was Haven’s observations and random thoughts that carried great familiarity, in tone and subject if not specifics. There were years when I didn’t plug every hole in time that might leave me alone with my own thoughts. Maybe I should say about the game, I felt exhumed.

Can you please put a space between the periods and the game titles?

Sorry about that, I think it’s good now.

Wow, the game stirred up some deep stuff for you! I was really glad I played it last year, and I found the writing to be unlike practically anything else in video games. If you have more to say, I’d encourage you to start a thread for it, because I’d like to hear it, and more people should know about Haven.

No problem, it looks good now.

1. Control Ultimate Edition
  2. Shin Megami Tensei: V
  3. Hades
  4. Bravely Default II
  5. Metroid Dread

I feel guilty posting my list as I didn’t play many 2021 games and I don’t think I even played the ones I did list for more than the halfway point and this list could change in a few months.

My backlog is such that I buy a game at release and it could be a year or more before I even get to it. RE 3 Remake, The Evil Within 2, Forza Motorsport 7, DMC 5, RDR 2, and MANY others from previous few years sit unopened or barely played, so the games on my list above were either highly anticipated or just managed to really hook me when I tried them out.

So, though I didn’t finish them, they were all satisfying, high quality and kept my attention far longer than many games have in a while, especially SMT: V which changes enough to feel like a fresh take, while keeping what worked intact. It almost got 1st place, but exploding enemies via furniture flinging was just too much fun.

I just started playing this, and it’s amazing. Tempting to put it on my list. It came out in August 2021 looks like (XB1, PS4, XS XX, PS5). (Sept 2020 on Windows and Switch)

Yeah, this is definitely Supergiant’s best game for me, so addictive!

Yeah, I can definitely see why it was Qt3’s best game of 2020 by a country mile. I think Microsoft Flight Simulator was 50 points behind it in second place.

1. Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
  2. Cruelty Squad
  3. Lost Judgement
  4. Northern Journey
  5. The Ascent

I have been holding off on Cruelty Squad because it seems very much destined to be a bundle game at some point.

Just a reminder that voting closes tonight.

are there some clear winners like last year?

Last I checked the top three were pretty close and pretty far ahead of the rest.

It’s pretty close. You can probably figure out from the list but I’d hate to start an advocacy battle. It’s not like last year where It was just like “duh…Hades.”

I haven’t been following the votes, but knowing Qt3, Boyfriend Dungeon
will probably win first place.